AZIMUTH vs. ANGLE RIGHT.......

Moderator: Carlson Support

AZIMUTH vs. ANGLE RIGHT.......

Postby Steger » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Why in the RW5 file does the field header 'AR' precede the horizontal reading when the instrument is orientated to 'Set to BS Azimuth' during setup? I believe this should be shown as 'AZ' for an Azimuth.

We are experiencing problems in the coordination of points within the job and believe it is a result of this field header. I can change the header within the Carlson Export software facility but believe this should not have to be done on every observation as the recording of the record should reflect the orientation of the instrument as set during the setup routine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Steger

Postby Rod1973 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:54 am

We have a similar situation with the RW5 files using the Leica 1200, the RW5 has every observation listed as AZ, which one would assume is correct. The solution I use is just to simply search and replace in the RW5 editor and replace AZ with AR. Everywhere else withing Carlson Azimuth is what we in Aus know as Bearing, but now in the RW5 it seems AR is required to "orient" a set of observation.

Hope this helps in some way
Rod1973

AZ = Azimuth??????

Postby Steger » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:26 pm

It seems you are having the other side of our problem by getting all "AZ".

I can also get the correct result by doing a text edit find replace but feel this is a redundant exercise as the software should read the field header correctly.

The result of our "AR" problem results in the coordination of observations used for the map display (and consequently an ascii export of positions) precisely in the incorrect position as the horizontal is treated as an angle and not an azimuth. This is required due to the instrument being orientated onto the backsight with the true azimuth.

I don't believe the instrument being used has any affect as it is just a slave to the data recorder.

Hope this helps your situation any...
Steger

Return to SurvCE General