v2.0 BS F1/F2 - What happened?

Moderator: Carlson Support

v2.0 BS F1/F2 - What happened?

Postby cujo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:42 am

A link to a set of .rw5 files showing the problem:
http://kdmmeridian.com/BS2Face.zip

When we shoot a BS, it is usually one of the furtherst points from our instrument that we will shoot. For this reason, we feel it is imperitive to both create and check a BS with both faces to acheive the most accurate vertical.

The attached sample .rw5 files are:
111508A v1.65 Shooting BS with F1 only
111508B v1.65 Shooting BS with F1/F2
111508C v2.07 Shooting BS with F1 only
111508D v2.07 Shooting BS with F1/F2

The instrument was set up on an assumed point (1) and then told to Set Angle and Read on point (2) creating the point at the same time on an Azimuth of 00-00-00.

I'm most interested in B and D as they are the way I feel BS's should be collected (a shot in both faces to best establish or check the vertical angle between controlling points).

In v1.65 the setting is found in Configure Reading, General Tab, called Average D&R (Vertical Only).
In v2.07 the setting can't be found there and it was explained to me that it was selected under the Sets Tab to collect F1/F2 on Backsight Shots. This seems odd to me, as I am not collecting a Set during a BD check or shot, but it does indeed trigger the gun to use both faces.

The problem is:

In v1.65 the raw file reports:
--Backsight by Azimuth
--F1 to Pt3 AR 0.0000 ZE 89.3228 SD 41.9622
--F2 to Pt3 AR 180.0000 ZE 270.2709 SD 41.9622
BD,OP1,FP2,AR0.0000,ZE89.3239,SD41.962238,--BS

This shows the observations in notes and generates a 00-00-00 reading with an averaged vertical angle as BD.

In v.207 the raw file reports:
--Backsight by Azimuth
BD,OP1,FP2,AR0.00000,ZE89.32570,SD41.960907,--BS
BR,OP1,FP2,AR180.00020,ZE270.27030,SD41.960251,--BS
--SS,OP1,FP2,AR0.00000,ZE89.32570,SD41.960579,--BS

This generates a BD and BR reading in the raw file, then appears to put a SS reading in as a note that looks like the average (vertical matched in this case so can't tell if it would have been averaged). Note that the circles are being reported to 0.1 of an "

What I want, is now in a note. A complete change from how it was done before.

My next software program STARNET treats this as an illegal reading set. It can't work with a BD and BR for a backsight reading. Before with v1.65, no problem. Why is this now what's being reported?

For curiousity, I tried processing the raw file through X-Port.
Answer:
Warnings:

Error: incomplete direct-reverse set

Even Carlson's software doesn't like that!

Basically I can not turn F2 on a BS 'set' of 'check' at all, anymore, or I get error after error throughout my file. In our office, any shot between control points requires both faces to be used.

Am I using the wrong item in v2.07? Where was the D&R for BS shots moved to?
Take care,

Rich

Carlson Survey 2010 Standalone
Allegro CX SurvCE 2.5
Leica 1203 Robots
Leica DNA Level
Sokkia SDL Levels
cujo

Postby cujo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:14 am

Version 1.65

Average Direct and Reverse: When clicked on the Sideshot/Traverse dialog box prompts for two observations,
direct (F1) and reverse (F2) readings. The two readings are then combined to produce an average observation
record for the vertical circle, which is stored in the rw5 file as a sideshot (SS) record. For calculation purposes
within Sideshot/Traverse and all Stakeout commands, the routine only averages the distances using both vertical
circle readings, and uses the direct horizontal reading for the direction. Both the direct and reverse readings are
stored in the rw5 file as a note record. When clicked off, (default setting) only the direct foresight shot will be
taken. This option improves accuracy on elevation measurements and mimics a feature found on the SDR data
collectors. However, full Set Collection would produce better overall accuracy in measurements, especially since
this Average Direct and Reverse option expects only a single direct and reverse scope foresight reading used only
for averaging the vertical circle. Resection also contains a built-in Direct and Reverse option, and in this case,
both horizontal angle and distance measurements are averaged.

Version 2.07

D&R: The user can choose to measure direct and reverse readings for
backsight, traverse, resection, topography, or stakeout routines. If the user
measures direct and reverse for the backsight readings, all foresight readings
that also are recorded direct and reverse will be recorded and computed as
angle sets. If the backsight reading is only measured direct, then foresight
points that are measured direct and reverse are then combined to produce an
average observation record for the vertical circle, which is stored in the .rw5
file as a sideshot (SS) record. For calculation purposes, the routine only
averages the distances using both vertical circle readings, and uses the direct
horizontal reading for the direction. Both the direct and reverse readings are
stored in the .rw5 file as a note record. When disabled, (default setting) only
the direct foresight shot will be taken. This option improves accuracy on
elevation measurements and mimics a feature found on the SDR data
collectors.

My idea was that the ability to take a simple F1 and F2 and have the vertical circle averaged in 1.65 was present in a different form in 2.07. I beleive this to be false now; That feature has been removed. It is clear that the intent of this feature in 2.07 is to make angle sets, in some effect a poor man's set collection, without using set collection. There may be some advantages to those who want to make angle sets without using the slightly restrictive Set Collection routines.

The new routine appears to be able to be used to average the vertical cricle only, but only on foresights (per the manual's description, take a F1 only BS and then have it take F1/F2 on a foresight which will be reduced thusly)

I'm quite certain that my current LSA software (StarNet) is not going to be able to work with this data; it was designed for the format that 1.65 created.

I am now starting to learn SurvNET and will be interested as to how it will handle this information. Was it modified as well to work with this format or did it already expect this?

For the time being, my third gun (the one with 2.07) will not be taking a F1/F2 to the BS and we'll collect our sets under Set Collection.
Take care,

Rich

Carlson Survey 2010 Standalone
Allegro CX SurvCE 2.5
Leica 1203 Robots
Leica DNA Level
Sokkia SDL Levels
cujo

Return to SurvCE General