Set Collection BS Creation

Moderator: Carlson Support

Postby cujo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:58 am

v2.07 - Leica 1203

Our normal work flow to start a field survey is to set on a control point or monument in the field and give it a local coordinate (we'll give it a real coordinate later through an adjustment with other data or other methods). Step two is to pick a reasonable backsight and orient on that with an assumed (or possibly known bearing). As spelled out in another post, I think the local, relative coordinates of this backsight should be created by taking a F1/F2 shot to get the best elevation. I intend to look at this backsight at least a few more times with F1/F2 from my initial point and very probably from other points to strengthen up my work.

When you get into the Traverse/Sideshot sceeen (I think it has a new name in v2) you give an unknown point number for the BS and the software asks if you want it established by azimuth or bearing. The software lets you know that the BS point is unknown and will be created. After taking the shot(s) on the BS, you're prompted for a code. Great, ready to start basic point collection.

However, this setup & backsight screen is used by the Set Collection routine incorrectly.

I should reasonably expect to be able to set up the gun, set up a BS and FS and go straight to the Set Collection routine. Then, using the backsight options I go through the EXACT same prompts, informative windows about how the point will be created, etc.. However, the software never creates the BS point. It doesn't ask for a code (first clue), and it plows ahead with the Set Collection. No BS point!

So to get my BS point created properly by the BS routine, I have to first go through the backsight routine from the traverse/sidewhot routine, then go to set colleciton and go through the BS routine again. :?:

Anyone else notice this?

Will this be corrected? It hasn't worked since the first 1.x version I've used.
Take care,

Rich

Carlson Survey 2010 Standalone
Allegro CX SurvCE 2.5
Leica 1203 Robots
Leica DNA Level
Sokkia SDL Levels
cujo

Postby cujo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm wrong, the BS point is created, just not when I expected it to be. "Plowing" completely through the Set Collection you get asked for descriptions for both the BS point and the FS points and it is stored to the CRD file at that time.

Thanks to John G. with Carlson for his patience and explaination.

I tested it this weekend and it works great.

In running these tests I noticed another feature I hadn't before:

You can enter an unkown Occupation Point, sight a known azimuth to a known BS and have your occupied point created ... that's really nifty. I've never seen any data collecter do that. An interesting tool to have in case the need arises. The only quirk I noticed there is that the Occupied Point is create but it did not ask for a description, so that was blank.

Note: you can confuse the Setup Screen by screen-picking your way around without getting the proper dialog pop-ups. Seems to work best by starting at the top and then arrowing your way around with the direction pad; otherwise you can set up a scenario that won't work (though it tells you as you try to go forward).
Take care,

Rich

Carlson Survey 2010 Standalone
Allegro CX SurvCE 2.5
Leica 1203 Robots
Leica DNA Level
Sokkia SDL Levels
cujo

Return to SurvCE General