connecting data logger to computer

Moderator: Carlson Support

connecting data logger to computer

Postby jherrick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I have a Carlson Explorer II and use X-port to transfer files. That is before I went from Windows XP to Windows 7. I had a usb to serial adapter that worked on my XP computer. This adapter is not supported in Windows 7, so I bought a new usb to serial adapter from staples that is Windows 7 compatable. The adapter loaded succcessfully on COM port 8. I plugged in the usb to serial adapter to the data logger null cable and then plugger into the computer. I start the explorer and start Carlson x-port on the computer. I make sure COM ports are set and try to connect. An error message comes up saying connection failure. But on the explorer it says connected to PC. I can not view the explorer files on the computer. Has anyone experienced this problem and what is the fix. Please help. I now have to enter my survey data into the Auto CADD program manually.
jherrick

Postby guitarjamman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

I dont know if you have resolved this or not but I can tell you what worked for me.

I had the same issue with X-Port and the serial to USB cable. What solved my problem was trying to connect to the device by going through each USB port on my computer and not adjusting any COM settings on the data collector. Windows device manager was telling me that I was plugged into COM 2 so I set up my data collector to send through COM 2. No beans; so through trial and error I found that COM 4 worked no problem and all the rest were bunk.

Not a technical solution to the problem but a way around it for me. Never had the problem with Windows XP but transitioning to Windows 7 was a headache.
guitarjamman

Postby jherrick » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I went a bought a Flash card for my data logger and use that for storing data and transferring to my computer. I don't have to worry if I can connect or not. I think the connection problem is with Windows 7 and the SuvrCE software. Hopefully someone can fix this problem in future revisions.
jherrick

Return to SurvCE General