SurvCE Traversing

Moderator: Carlson Support

SurvCE Traversing

Postby garrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:57 am

I grew up on a dos based C&G system. Traversing and reducing traverses were no problem. I have recently switched to SurvCE 2.0 and can't for the life of me get traversing and data reduction figured out. The methods that I used to use in C&G just don't work for me in SurvCE. I have looked for tutorials and help but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions.
I am walking blind and I'm not afraid to ask for help. Thanks.
garrett

Postby ColC » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:18 am

I am not familiar with the C& G system but I did use the TDS 95 system for many years and it was a breeze to use. I could have a junior surveyor up and running in a morning with the TDS software. I am now using SurvCE 2.54. It was totally different story with a very slow and steep learning curve. That is not say that I am now impressed with some of the capabilities of SurvCe. But I can fully appreciated your need to seek help. The manual does not give many hints how to get started.

I also found I had to change my method of Traversing. With regard to data reduction I am unsure which aspect you are having problems with. Most of my data reduction is done in the office with Carlson Survey in particular Field to Finish.

Firstly, I would recommend upgrading to 2.54. This allows for symbols. The symbols are setup in the Feature code List. This makes it easier to find points identified by a symbol rather than having the screen crowded with point numbers or descriptions. This option was a turning point in my appreciation of SurvCe. I am unsure how much of the process I describe is only available in 2.54

When you start a new job you are required to enter a starting point. Traversing is achieved using the store points screen. When you first enter this screen in a new job (only one point in the crd file) you are taken to the backsight screen. If you have say for example started with point number 1, a Trav point, you can enter point number 2 as the backsight, and enter a value for the backsight Az. Then select the backsight button and then shoot to your backsight using set angle and read. You may be asked to accept the azimuth or enter coordinates. When you have shot your backsight and leave the backsight screen you will be given the opportunity to save the shot to the backsight as point in the crd file. You then get back to the main screen. You can start with a crd file with existing points already imported into your data collector. In that situation, you can then chose an existing point as your backsight.

Once, In the main screen you can select the sideshot /traverse icon on the RHS to continue your traverse. After reading a traverse shot you are asked to move now or later to the traverse point. This is feature I do not like. If you chose move later, the same screen pops up all the time. I would prefer to see, Traverse to last measured point or existing stored point. You need to enter the sets tab in the configuration screen to set up the number of readings for Backsights/ Traverse/Resection/Topo(side shots)/stake out/ reciprocals. (I would prefer to have the option to repeat a shot on the main screen. I sometimes require a single side shot and a then a double on another.)

Here endeth the first lesson.

I hope this is of some help.

The above process is a "down under" perspective which may seem as crazy as yours system did to me several years ago. I hope it gets you through some of those first difficult hurdles. But keep asking the questions.
ColC

Postby garrett » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for the help. I guess what my real problem is is more of file handling. In the C&G software we would run multiple raw files all using the same coordinate file. I could run a traverse in one and open setups in another and reduce them separately. With SurvCE everything is in the same raw file and this is what I am having problems with. If I start running a traverse and for an unknow reason have to make an open setup in the middle of it I don't know how to break that data out and still reduce the original traverse. I know that I am going to have to change my field procedures but not understanding the software and its raw file is what is keeping me from changing my field methods to match. Does this make sense.
With the old software to run say a closed traverse starting on points 1 and 2 and ending on say 8 and 9, setting 3 points in between. Those in between points would be called whatever the next point number was, say 60, 210 and 500. When we got to where we were going to close out we would turn into point number 8 and call it 8 with no description. Same thing for point 9. This would tell C&G that we were tying a know point and it would reduce it as a closed traverse. I am not sure how SurvCE wants me to do this.
I am hoping that I am the roadblock and that soon something will click.
garrett

Postby ColC » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:04 pm

I sorry I can not help you there. I tend to use my raw data file as part of my quality assurance or record file. I do most of my adjustments on my crd file as I work in the field. If I do attempt to reduce a raw data file I do it within my Carlson Survey Office suite. I have to admit I have not had a great deal of success reducing traverses. I have struck difficulties using assumed azimuths. It is an area I would like to see some work done.

I have used it successfully setting a a least squares adjustment. It dealt with the control point or fixed points by entering = in front of the known point number. You can set up separate traverses by inserting a traverse name in the file. I don't think the SurvCe has these abilities.
ColC

Return to SurvCE General