Angle Right?

Moderator: Carlson Support

Angle Right?

Postby Pin Cushion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:32 pm

CAN SurvCE calculate an angle right for me? Either between three points or imputing two bearings?

... I have not figured out how... and it is a pain in the ass! :twisted:
I was blind... but now I see with Carlson.
Pin Cushion

Postby Pin Cushion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:21 am

I can do the calculation in the triangle solutions functions but the format sucks... it would be nice to have the SMI "CAR" command, and that is coming from a TDSer. The SMi CAR (calculate angle right command) is the best survey command that fell through the cracks... it is not in anyone's software it seems. it allowed for two bearings to be eantered and thus computed the Aright and Aleft... it is a meets and bounds thang I guess. SUCKS it is not in here.

BRING IT BACK :!:
Pin Cushion

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm

I do not use SurveCE, but all the other Carlson products have quadrant and angle codes for angle entry:

1=NE
2=SE
3=SW
4=NW
5=North Azimuth
6=angle left
7=angle right
8=deflection angle to the left
9=deflection angle to the right

It's odd that code is not used in SurveCE; or is it?
Dent Cermak

Postby Pin Cushion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:18 pm

If you are using Carlson Survey and NOT SurvCE then you need to switch... it is the cats meow. It is really unbelievable the two put together. SurvCE make the others look like "the old way." NOW it is THE ONLY WAY.

In the Transformation screen you can use the quadrant and a space, but not in the "manual traverse" (aka point in direction, from TDS). This menu require picking the quad from a pull down (sucks). If the AR (angle right) is selected instead of a Bearing THREE points can be inputed using comma separation (this format 1,2,3 )
Pin Cushion

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 pm

There's a BIG difference between SurvCE and Survey. SurvCE is a data collection program. Survey is the drafting package.
For data collection we use Carlson Field because of its graphics capabilities and load it up on Panasonic Toughbook computers. SurveCE was developed for the smaller data collectores using WindowsCE software.
You do not do data collection in Carlson Survey and it's not a good idea to try to do final drafting in SurvCE.
Dent Cermak

Postby Pin Cushion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm

I ment if you are using Carlson survey as a drafting platform then using SurvCE, instead of say TDS SurveyPro or TopSurv, is a more field fuctional option for data collection..... sounds like you knew that.

I was not saying SurvCe is better than Carlson Survey, but that the combination is badass.... I would not try to draw a final plat in SurCE.
Pin Cushion

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 pm

That indeed is a GREAT combo, but you ought to see what a field crew can do when they can see the lines and symbols being drawn on their datra screen. Or the have the ability to sketch the utility lines into the drawing as they look at it in the field.
TDS and those other programs cannot come near SurvCE, but when you use the power of Carlson Field you then do not go fast, you go SUPERSONIC!!
Getting the descriptor keys set up and the Field To Finish settings done gives a survey company power that they have not seen before. PLUS being to have multiple F2F fbk files set up using the same descriptors but drawing stuff on the client's layers , symbols and linetypes saves a TON of time.
Dent Cermak

Return to SurvCE General