Cell phone as modem

Moderator: Carlson Support

Cell phone as modem

Postby jimmiller » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 pm

I need to know what cell phones others are using as modems to access the CORS or RTN's. I just got a pair of Surveyor+'s and am using Sokkia GSR2700 ISX receivers connecting with Bluetooth. I have to use Verizon as they are the only ones with coverage in the remote areas I work. The Sokkia is only available with a GSM internal modem and I already have the internal UHF installed. I really want a Droid, but I will use what works. Any ideas?

Jim
Jim Miller PLS
Boles Engineering
jimmiller

Postby Markjupiter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:44 am

At present, I am using an iPhone as a modem to access CORS. As far as I know, some of the smartphones are not compatible in accessing CORS. It is better if you are planning to buy a new one, you must check first the details of the phone.
Markjupiter

Postby jahco@aol.com » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 am

We are using the GSR2700ISX with Verizon Phone. The Sokkia needs to run their NetLink software on a MS Mobile 6.0 phone. We use a HTC Imagio. Not sure if Sokkia has built the software on a different operatiing system yet.

John
jahco@aol.com

Postby harrynikol » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:40 am

A modem (modulator-demodulator) is a device that modulates an analog carrier signal to encode digital information, and also demodulates such a carrier signal to decode the transmitted information. The goal is to produce a signal that can be transmitted easily and decoded to reproduce the original digital data. Modems can be used over any means of transmitting analog signals, from light emitting diodes to radio. The most familiar example is a voice band modem that turns the digital data of a personal computer into modulated electrical signals in the voice frequency range of a telephone channel. These signals can be transmitted over telephone lines and demodulated by another modem at the receiver side to recover the digital data.

thanks,

paris hilton shoes

qupid shoes
harrynikol

Postby tstrickland » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm

A shoe is a device that covers a person's foot and protects it from abrasion and other environmental trauma.

They are normally sold in various sizes in pairs, but they are not permitted to be sold on this forum, and therefore have no place here, regardless of who the owner is, Paris Hilton or Qupid.

We do, however, appreciate a shoe salesman's rendition of "modem". It seems to be a better description than my rendition of a shoe.

A boot is a taller version of the said shoe.
"Beginning at the said boot; Thence run to where legs fork, and kick self in the rear of said fork, and off of our Survey Forum, and the Point of Ending of the shoe sale and modem description, containing one foot, more or less buried in said fork."
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Return to GPS