Creating ESRI Projection File

Moderator: Carlson Support

Creating ESRI Projection File

Postby donna_jwsc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:05 pm

I use Carlson Survey 2014 Embedded AutoCAD.

One of our clients has requested an ESRI .prj file to accompany the shape files we have sent. I do not know how to create this and cannot find anything in the Carlson Survey help menu. Tried to do a search on the internet, but am unable to find what we need - step by step instructions. When creating the shape files (which we do all the time, just not with a projection file), I have selected the box for a Projection file towards the bottom of the window. Not sure where to go from there. Our cad files are always created with a projection, State Plane 83, NM East, WGS84, or other applicable information.

If someone has had experience with this, please help!!
donna_jwsc

Re: Creating ESRI Projection File

Postby donna_jwsc » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:17 pm

I suppose I just need to not ask any more questions.
Silly me, I buy Carlson Survey OEM knowing that it has the export to ESRI shp files and assuming that the prj files would be created since I work in our set projection for NME. 2 manuals (Carlson from 2008, I believe and Carlson Survey 2014 Level 1 from Rick Ellis), and a day of searching the internet and nothing!
Are my questions too "stupid" so that I just get passed over on this forum? I buy a personal copy of Survey OEM since we don't do updates very often at work and I do not get the extra training as would a company that has a trainer come in to go over questions. I am stuck asking questions here..........At least I found out that I have to purchase the GIS program along with the Survey program in order to get what I need.
donna_jwsc

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:46 pm

This is a "peer to peer" discussion forum that is very seldom looked at by Carlson Staff. They come by once in a blue moon. That is clearly spelled out in the info on this board.
So now, get your rump off your shoulders and contact Carlson Support at the listed email address, or call them on the 1-888 number to get an answer to your questions. They usually respond very quickly.
The lack of an answer to your questions simply means that none of us know either or those that know haven't dropped by yet.
Remember, THE WORLD IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!(it's about me!!) :D :shock:
Dent Cermak

Postby donna_jwsc » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:15 am

Okay......The only problem is that I get referred to the forum.
Thank you for letting me know that I am being a "Prima" Donna and that I feel the Carlson world should revolve around me. Won't happen again.
donna_jwsc

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:05 am

Due to my MUCH larger center of mass, Carlson can ONLY revolve around ME!! :shock:
Seriously, give the 1-888 number a shot. See if you can get Brian, Lon or Leonid. They will have you rocking and rolling in no time at all!!
That Help line is truly the only reliable source available. This forum is pretty much hit or miss, and local help is scarce as hen's teeth. They are working on establishing more Carlson College Training and Help centers on a more local basis, but that is going pretty slow. I am trying to establish one in Mississippi, but it will take a while to get trained and all the resources lined up.
In the mean time bug the crap out of Brian. We need to keep him busy and off the streets. Tell him I sent you because I was worried that her did not have enough to do. :mrgreen:
Dent Cermak

Postby Nava Ran » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:30 am

Nava Ran

Postby Mathord » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Nava, Would be happy to help you out. I know this is my first post on here, but I did use to be a Carlson employee technical trainer and support in the mining department. As I do not have the 2014 version installed on this machine, I can not verify what features are installed on that version. Can you tell me, did you use the GIS module command to export your shape file?
Mathord

Return to General Carlson Discussion