Need Help...

Moderator: Carlson Support

Need Help...

Postby hlb2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm

I guess I do things differently than most, as I cannot find anything in the manuals that can instruct me on my questions. If anyone is using 2015 and Intellicad please help!

1. I work on a network, using Softdesk 8 and R14 so my project folders and drawing folders are stored on my server for me and all my other users to use. Drawings are stored in their own folders by year, not associated w/SD PROJ folder. How does Carlson "mimic" this? I don't want to change the setup of my server as it would mean moving over 25 years worth of CAD files, not something I really have time for. I would like it set up to look for the drawings folder I have established on my server, then look for a project folder for the other data it needs to use. In the past, we stored all files separately. Coordinates went in one folder, drawings another, and SD PROJ another, NONE of which are related. I'd like to keep it that way if possible, if not, can someone instruct me how to set this up (I've even bought training manuals that don't illustrate this either, who still uses the C drive?! Lol.).

2. Does anyone w/experience know the differences between SD v. 8 & Carlson? I was told there wasn't much, but after opening it up and messing w/it, Carlson is like Chinese to me. SD v. 8 was super simple, where did I miss something???

3. I use a LOT of lisp routines to do what I need to do. I used to just copy and paste these into ACAD's folder (I forget the name) and away I went. I did this so that all my lisp routines would load on the startup. Any ideas where this folder is in Intellicad?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but if someone could chime in, I'd be sorely in debt to you...
hlb2

Re: Need Help...

Postby ColC » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am

I have been using a very simple network and used a data drive called D: which was common to all the computers in the network. Under Settings Set Project/data Folders you can make the various settings you require.
I have a project folder for each major job and project folders for various suburbs/areas where I would do smaller surveys. In Project Setup you can setup the Sub Folders, in the manner you require.
I have The Project folder then a series of sub folders,/Drawings, /Field,/Lot Files, /Outgoing Files,/Exref etc.
When you open a new job you get the opportunity to select/create a Project Folder and these sub folders are generated for each new project. There is a project Manager which could be of use to you. I have had some issues with this during some of the upgrades so I have not been using it now for some time.
You may need a network license to fully utilise this aspect in a larger network.

If you explore Carlsons I am sure you will find it very rewarding. There are a lot of very clever tricks in the software and if you have any technical problems there is a great support staff. I have the benefit of living on the other side of the world. I have often had a problem at the end of my day sent off an email to support and woken in the morning with a solution. A lot of Carlson defaults to US standards and colloquialisms and I have not a real problem.

I have not found the need for lisp programs with Carlsons, I can generally find a solution within Carlson. So I can't help much in that regard. I have no knowledge of SD V8

You can also view some of the videos available on line which I have found very useful. Good luck with it and keep exploring.
ColC

Return to General Carlson Discussion