how do I get TDS descriptions to show on dwg

Moderator: Carlson Support

how do I get TDS descriptions to show on dwg

Postby BHART » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

TDS data collectors, I'm trying to get attributes (tree sizes and types) to show up on my drawing. The field crew located trees and put the size and type in the attributes for each shot. I want to know if there is a way to get those attributes to appear on my drawing. when processed. We have well over 500 trees on this job and typing in the size and type of each tree is not an option I look forward to !!!
any help would be appreciated.
BHART

Postby Nava Ran » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 am

Survey>Draw Field to Finish
Nava Ran

TDS Attributes

Postby GPSMAN » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 pm

How does F2F read & plot the attributes from the raw file into the dwg?
Jerry "Starman" Feldman
CADD/GIS/GPS/SURVEY TECH
GPSMAN

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 pm

When you process the raw (RW5) file, Carlson creates a .CRD file. Carlson works with the .CRD file. All coding is read from the .CRD file by Field To Finish. Using Field To Finish and the coding features in Carlson, the attribute date for items such as tree sizes and culvert invert data can be extracted as text directly into your drawing.
In the project mentioned by BHART, bringing in all of the trees as blocks and independent text would take less than 2 minutes. He would spend more time moving text to clear up overprints than anything else.
Specifically, if he were to code his tree descriptors as OAK /8 for an 8 inch oak , his symbol in the drawing would come in as a tree block of his choice and a line of text that says 8"OAK. (Thats tree Type space forward slash size)
If you go to the Field To Finish pull down menu, at the bottom left you will see the "Edit codes/points" bar. Click on that. Go to the OAK symbol definition (If you do not have one, make one). On the left of the edit page you will see an "Attribute Format" line. Set it to "BOTH", then push the "SET" button.
There is a list of all of the items that you can pick to be displayed as text in the drawing. Check the "DESCRIPTION" box and in the "SUFFIX" tab type in "OAK (inch mark OAK). Pick the desired text position and set the layer that you wish the text to appear on.
Save that setting and exit.
Now when you run Field To Finish, if you Have coded the trees as I showed earlier, all if the trees with the descriptor text will appear.
The same methodolligy will work for pipe inverts shot in the field, control point labels, Finish Floor Elevations and a host of other goodies.
The field To Finish routine is the power tool of Carlson. It is a combination of AutoCad's Figure Prefix Library and the Descriptor Key Manager. It is where you set up the auto-linework and the block insertion in Carlson. Set up properly it will do things that used to take hours in just a very few minutes.
If you are still in the "draw from node to node" methodollogy, this one feature will pay for itself in the very first use.[/i]
Dent Cermak

TDS

Postby GPSMAN » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:03 pm

I should of clairfied my question.
in TDs the attributes are seperate, as in not part of the code/description line.
If I manually edit the code/desc. to add in the tree size, then yes, the text can be brought in w/ F2F.
But in our raw files the notes or attributes are not part of the code/desc. line. The attributes are part of the .NOT file but that also brings in all the setup/backsight/offset junk and all on one layer.

I use F2F, just wanted to know if anyone uses TDS attributes w/o manually editing the raw file.
Jerry "Starman" Feldman
CADD/GIS/GPS/SURVEY TECH
GPSMAN

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm

The codes can be added as the descriptor in a TDS system. We use OAK/8 as the descriptor in our TDS based data collectors. We use the notes only for clarification or to note bad rod heights, etc.
We use the carlson special codes as the attributes and our own "in house" coding list rather than any TDS built-in's.
Dent Cermak

TDS

Postby GPSMAN » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm

we do SHA work and have to use thier codes & attribute system
which is built for INROADS/MICROSTATION

(every desc. can only be a code & every shot needs attribute data attached to it) (not my way of doing things!!)

for our inhouse AutoCAD jobs, we use SurveCE with GIS attributes

I was just looking for info on the use of attributes.

thanks for your insight
Jerry "Starman" Feldman
CADD/GIS/GPS/SURVEY TECH
GPSMAN

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:23 pm

OOOHHHH!! I feel your pain!! INROADS is tough enough without client required codes. I am lucky and our Anygraph people have figured out how to make our codes work in Inroads, so my field crews are blessed in having to know only one code system.
If it were only a perfect world.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 pm

If you are creating a .not file then I think that info can be imported using the options in the Additional Draw Options of F2F. In the screen that comes up there is a section Creating Note Points. I am not a user of this option But it may help.
ColC

Return to Survey