Attributes

Moderator: Carlson Support

Attributes

Postby SurvTech31 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I have no experience working with attributes, so I've started looking into them a little bit recently. I was curious, if you F2F a symbol/block which is associated with an attribute, are you able to have the attribute read the point description for the point and display said description? For example, I have the code oak10 for a 10 inch oak tree. If I F2F the point, the description will display as 10". If I F2F the symbol for the oak tree, the oak tree symbol with the default attribute xx" are displayed. I do not want to "tie" the point itself with the symbol, but I am hoping to be able to have the attribute read the point description in a similar manner as the point F2F does. Does anyone know if this is possible and/or the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.
SurvTech31

Re: Attributes

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 am

Pay particular attention to the 2 boxes midway down, on the left of the EDIT FIELD CODE DEFINITION window. The ATTRIBUTE FORMAT is what you want. Click the BOTH radio button, select what you want to add as text and enter any prefix or suffix you desire. Then go to the SEPARATE ATTRIBUTE LAYERS, set that to SYMBOLS, click the SET radio button and select the layer you want yoursymbol to appear on.
When you run F2F with all items selected, you will get your selected text and symbology.
Dent Cermak

Postby SurvTech31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks Dent. I have also learned of another way. After you create a block/symbol drawing that contains an attribute, assign it to the desired F2F code. Under the Symbol tab of said code, click on the custom attributes button. Click the Set button within the Custom Attributes window. A new window titles Set Custom Attribute will open. This window allows you to select from a number of options, including description, from the pulldown menu. If you hit ok and save all your changes, when you F2F this will insert the point descrtion into the attribute of the block. Thus allowing the symbol and attribute to remain one entity, but still allow the attribute to be changed/moved if desired. Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SurvTech31

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:22 am

NO FAIR!!! I am still stuck on 2010 and you have the NEW stuff!! Same basic proceedures though. 8)
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey