CARLSON SURVEY 2010 F2F ERROR

Moderator: Carlson Support

CARLSON SURVEY 2010 F2F ERROR

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 pm

OK, I open up my Field to Finish file just fine to edit a couple of things. Edit goes fine. I hit the "SAVE" radio button and get the following message:
"ERROR Unable to open file for saving"
WHAT???!! I am looking at it!! It's open!! The indicated path is correct!! It won't save. Works fine on the pooters at the officer, but my home copy will not save the file.
I have the latest build of Survey 2010. I even tried deleting the Field2finish.ini. No joy.
Anybody got any ideas????
Dent Cermak

Re: CARLSON SURVEY 2010 F2F ERROR

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 am

Ding-Dang Windows 7 and its "Permissions" settings!!! If you have "Administrator Permissions" that should cover everything!!! BUT NO!! Not in Windows 7!! What a bunch of junk!! I buy the computer, I should be able to do whatever I want or need to do!! I think they just like messing with the users!!
Dent Cermak

Re: CARLSON SURVEY 2010 F2F ERROR

Postby Dent Cermak » Sun May 05, 2013 6:40 pm

This was a big deal, not being able to modify certain major files!! Finally I have found a solution thanks to Don E. Robinson in a post on LinkedIn.
These are things not mentioned in the user's manual and if your VAR is not REAL familiar with Windows 7, he did not do this, so you may be running into problems that this will fix. AND I guarantee you that IF you did like I did and just let the CD do its thing, then you need to follow this information.

"If you’re running Windows 7, make sure you install it by right-clicking the SETUP or INSTALL application on the DVD and then RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Otherwise, it may not install correctly. Don't let it "Auto Load", if possible.

Also, this may sound funny, but, make sure you have the correct Permissions.

Right-click your Carlson icon and select PROPERTIES at the bottom of the dialog box. Then, under SHORTCUT tab select ADVANCE. In the next dialog box, see if RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR is checked. If not check it and select OK

Now, select the SECURITY tab, then your user name. Is FULL CONTROL checked in the bottom window. If not, select ADVANCE and then CHANGE PERMISSIONS. Now select your user name and then select EDIT. Click FULL CONTROL, then OK, OK, OK, OK, OK and OK.

Even if you re-install as mentioned above, also, run through the process I mentioned above to make sure everything is set correctly. (Also, if your are running under VISTA)"

THANKS DON!!
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey