Carlson Survey or Civil Suite on a Carlson Supervisor?

Moderator: Carlson Support

Carlson Survey or Civil Suite on a Carlson Supervisor?

Postby tstrickland » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello, I am considering the Supervisor for data collection, currently use SurvCE on an Allegro.
Is anyone using Carlson Survey on one of these? I was told it would run on this box. Confirmation might finalize the switch for me.
I have an older version of Carlson Survey (2009) with embedded acad, and the latest Civil Suite with icad.
thanks in advance.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Re: Carlson Survey or Civil Suite on a Carlson Supervisor?

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am

I don't think there is an interface for data collection in Carlson Survey. I love it in the office, but I have never seen it used for data collection. If the idea is to load up something for the graphics capability tied to your Field To Finish, then what you may want is Carlson Field or Carlson SurvPC. I just cannot see Carlson Survey as the solution for what you want. It may load on the Supervisor, but I don't see how it would work with data collection.
If whoever is telling you that you should do this is correct I would be greatly interested in how you hook Survey to the total station and turn angles and measure distances. Then I would take EVERYTHING off our Toughbooks, load up our Carlson Survey and be off to the races.
I don't mean to be ugly, but I don't think the person leading you this direction knows what they are talking about. IF, somehow, they are correct, PLEASE post the "how to's" here.
Dent Cermak

Postby tstrickland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I guess i misrepresented my intent. I was told that someone could run Carlson office software concurrently with SurvPC on the Supervisor tablet.
I was wondering if anyone had successfully done that, either Embedded Survey or Civil Suite with Icad. If so, that might make it attractive enough to switch to a supervisor with SurvPC versus SurvCE.
thanks,
Terry
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:23 pm

We are currently evaluating a copy of SurvPC and, so far, are impressed with what we see. SurvPC is basically the same as SurvCE, just set up to run in a true Windows environment, PLUS the added benefit of the graphic capabilities that are built into SurvPC.
CRight now we are running Carlson Field on Toughbook computers in ordef to get those graphic capabilities. If you can watch the plan draw as you shoot the features you can see if you have shot everything and hopefully not have to return to the site later to fix things. Using SurvPC on the toughbooks gives the field crews the SurvCE screens and commands that they are familiar with, allows them to fold the Toughbook screen around and use the touch screen option for easier use AND gives them full graphic capabilities and checks. This is a win-win situation for us.
BUT, the Toughbooks are a little more cumbersome then the handhelds. The Supervisor is an awesome data collector but has a much smaller screen. It's screen size vs ease of handeling I guess. It's a coin flip because both of these pieces of hardware run about the same price.
IF you want graphic capabilities (the BEST QA/QC tool available to a surveyor) and a smaller unit to tote around, then the Supervisor with Carlson PC is exactly what you are looking for. It has enough drawing power that you need only SurvPC on the data collector. You can import DGN's, Google stuff, DWG's or what ever else type of file that you need and draw with the image in the background. Heck, you can even do your contouring on the thing!! Loading your other drafting software onto the Supervisor is going to eat up a LOT of hard disc space and may not be necessary.
Call Aafon Newman and twist his arm to get you a walk through demo of what SurvPC and the Suoervisor will do. (You will probably need to go through Aaron, because we are in training and demo limbo in our part of the country. There's no reputable VAR for our state. By "reputable" I simply mean a VAR that knows enough about the equipment to competently demo it or support it after the sale. There are a bunch of guys around that will sell you the stuff, but everything ends right there.)
There's my 2 cents worth.
Dent Cermak

Postby tstrickland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 pm

The only thing I would have problems with, I think, is not having a keyboard. I would definitely have to try one out before buying to see if that's an obstacle that I could overcome.
The extra real estate would be nice, probably 3x bigger than my current screen size.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Terry, In Carlson SurvPC, you have a keyboard. If you go the Toughbook route, you have a keyboard. There is a fly out, touchscreen keyboard built into SurvPC.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey