Rough Centerline Profile of an Existing Street

Moderator: Carlson Support

Rough Centerline Profile of an Existing Street

Postby FACDS » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:16 pm

All-

I need to preface this post with the fact I am a brand new user of Carlson Civil, in fact I just downloaded the program this morning. That being said I need to create a centerline profile of an existing street which I was able to do. The first 1,500 feet looks pretty good but the next 1,000 feet looks a little bumpy for it being the centerline of an existing paved road. To get to this point I created a centerline/baseline with labels (mixed result-the labels looked shifted about 100') and then used the .tin file provided by the surveyor. My question is can I smooth out the profile so it accurately reflect field conditions, or did I miss a setting along the way? Thanks in advance for your help!
FACDS

Re: Rough Centerline Profile of an Existing Street

Postby albud1962 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:01 pm

The tin may need to be edited to provide a better model of the existing road.
You can go into the profile editor, reduce vertices or delete individual stations (PROFEDIT command).
Afterwards you can convert the edited profile to a 3d polyline (3DPROF2 command) which can be used as a break line to update your tin.
You can also do a profile from survey pts. The pts. need not be on the centerline. Check to see if there are actual field shots of the existing ground and road center line.
Tin editing can sometimes be more of an art than science.
albud1962

Return to Civil