Some basic IntelliCAD questions: layers & x-refs, etc.

Some basic IntelliCAD questions: layers & x-refs, etc.

Postby howitzer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 pm

- Is there a way to rename x-refs so that the layers also rename? For example, in Acad I could go in the x-ref manager dialog box, rename the x-ref, and all that file's layer name would automatically be renamed. I.e.: 123.dwg would be renamed to XR-123.dwg, and all the layers as x-ref'd would be renamed from 123|* to XR-123|*.

If this is not possible, this could be minimized if there is a way to lock layer listing in the layer dialog box. For example, I can turn off x-ref layers from viewing, but cannot find a way to lock that setting. The next time I go back in the layer dialog box there they are again.

- Is there an equivalent to the xlist command?

- I found the multiline (mline) command? However, it doesn't seem to be fully functional. I cannot find a way to get my setting changes to stick. Also, there does not seem to be options for specifying certain lines within the multiline according to color and/or linetype.

- Is there a way to lock toolbars into place?

Thanks.
howitzer

Re: Some basic IntelliCAD questions: layers & x-refs, etc.

Postby gskelhorn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I'll start with Happy New Year! My first post of the year :-)

For the XREF and layer name question try using the RENAME command with the Block option, from the command line. It will ask for the name of the block you want to rename then the new name. Next open the XREF manager, it should show the new name. Select the XREF and hit Reload. Now when you open the layer explorer it should show the new layer names. The old layer names will probably still be there until you save, close and re-open the drawing.

For the XLIST question, I think that is supposed to show the layer name of entities in an XREF? If yes then a little Lisp code can do the same thing:
Code: Select all
(cdr (assoc 8 (entget (car (nentsel)))))

The line above will show the layer the nested entity is on. This might not be quite what you want because if you have and entity in an XREF that is in a block you will get the layer the entity of the entity and not the layer of the block.

If you know a bit of customization that might help. If not ask again and I will try to help you out a bit more. You can make this into a toolbar button or command function.

I don't know anything about MLINE entities or commands, have not used them at all.
gskelhorn

Postby howitzer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Hello gskelhorn. I think you're my new hero. :lol:
gskelhorn wrote:I'll start with Happy New Year! My first post of the year :-)

For the XREF and layer name question try using the RENAME command with the Block option, from the command line. It will ask for the name of the block you want to rename then the new name. Next open the XREF manager, it should show the new name. Select the XREF and hit Reload. Now when you open the layer explorer it should show the new layer names. The old layer names will probably still be there until you save, close and re-open the drawing.

For the XLIST question, I think that is supposed to show the layer name of entities in an XREF? If yes then a little Lisp code can do the same thing:
(cdr (assoc 8 (entget (car (nentsel)))))

The line above will show the layer the nested entity is on. This might not be quite what you want because if you have and entity in an XREF that is in a block you will get the layer the entity of the entity and not the layer of the block.

If you know a bit of customization that might help. If not ask again and I will try to help you out a bit more. You can make this into a toolbar button or command function.

I don't know anything about MLINE entities or commands, have not used them at all.

The X-ref layer rename thing works as you suggested. This is big to me, so thank you very much. It is a round-about way to do it, and is easier and more straight forward in AutoCAD, but it is the kind of thing that you only have to do once when you x-ref the drawing, so that's not a huge deal.

As far as the LISP routine, I know very little regarding LISP. Do I plug that into the command line when I want to use it? It's been a few years since I have made my own toolbars and buttons, but I could re-learn that pretty quick.

ETA: I did just plug it in the command line, and it worked as desired. Thanks again.
howitzer

Postby gskelhorn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 pm

If you want to have a command shortcut for the XLIST thing you can add it to your Quick Keys. See the help file for details. Add a princ to the command. i.e:
(princ (cdr (assoc 8 (entget (car (nentsel))))))
gskelhorn

Return to IntelliCAD General