"Draw Legend" Issues

Moderator: Carlson Support

"Draw Legend" Issues

Postby todbiker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Under the annotative pulldown in Carlson Survey 2009 w/ autocad, there's a tool for creating a legend. I use it all the time, but as handy as it can be, it also requires a lot of symbol resizing and lengthening of lines to make it presentable. My F2F file of course brings in blocks at particular sizes, but the draw legend brings them all in at the same size. Linetypes don't show up because it only draws a short segment. Am I missing something and making this a lot harder than it should be?
Is there someway duplicate what's you see on the screen with regards to symbology drawn by F2F and eliminate the resizing?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Dave
todbiker

Postby Nava Ran » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 am

In Draw Legend dialog you can define Text, Symbol, Hatch and Line size.
Nava Ran

True, but....

Postby todbiker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

True, but that only makes all my symbols the same size, they have to be resized to look like what's in my drawing. I might have a desire to use 1/8" text in paperspace for my descriptions and then I have to adjust the line spacing to accomodate larger symbols. The line size option is fine, that's something I forget to set.

What would be nice is the routine to recognize the sizing of my blocks when I select them on the screen and use a copy of that versus pulling them out of the Carlson library and scaling them all 4.0 or whatever you specify in the dialogue box and spacing my descriptions lines per the individual symbol size.

Sounds like I'm using the the function to the limits of it's ability and you still have to resize and move lines. The other option is coming up with a standard legend, but them I get comments to eliminate symbols and linetypes not used in the drawing, so once again I have at the very least erase and move things around to get rid of erased entrys.

It would also be nice if the legend is automatically made a block instead of individual pieces of text, lines, and block.
todbiker

Postby tstrickland » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I have a legend created in paperspace on my template drawing with everything I use in it. I just erase what I don't want when I get ready to plot.
For me, It's quicker and easier than the legend generation feature.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby todbiker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 pm

tstrickland wrote:I have a legend created in paperspace on my template drawing with everything I use in it. I just erase what I don't want when I get ready to plot.
For me, It's quicker and easier than the legend generation feature.

I think that's going to be my best option at this point.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm suprised this hasn't been requested by more people considering the commonplace need of legends in plan production. In today's marketplace, you'd better be able to accomodate multilple clients with varying cad standards requirements. The basic concept of picking what's on the screen saves time weeding out unused items in a boilerplate legend, but shoots itself in the foot with it's need of modification.
todbiker

Return to Survey