compute points by station and offset

Moderator: Carlson Support

compute points by station and offset

Postby todbiker » Fri May 28, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm trying to compute some points for stakeout. I have a baseline from which I created a Carlson centerline and labeled. Now I'm trying to create points based on station and offset of the baseline/centerline. The stationing will not be standard 50' increments, this is not for street layout.
I've looked around the menu's and this doesn't appear to be an option?...
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
todbiker

Figured out how to comp points by station and offset, but...

Postby todbiker » Fri May 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Figured out how to comp points by station and offset, but...
Sometimes I only want to set a point on the centerline/baseline and no offset. The only way to compute the points appears to be using the centerline pulldown "offset point entry". Your offset choices are single or multiple, you can't key in a station, set a pont on the centerline, blow off the offset and move on to the next station.... what am I missing?....
todbiker

Postby TerryS » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Have you tried entering zero as the offset?

You may also want to look into the transparent comand:
'cl

This allows you to specify a station and offset (including zero) in the middle of another command....like a snap.
TerryS

Both options have their limitations

Postby todbiker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:50 pm

TerryS wrote:Have you tried entering zero as the offset?

You may also want to look into the transparent comand:
'cl

This allows you to specify a station and offset (including zero) in the middle of another command....like a snap.

I tried using the transparent command with "draw/locate points" and it works great on the fly, but only lets you set 1 point using station and offset off the baseline. When you type in a new station, it just sets a point 'x' amount from the last point, you have to type 'cl and pick the baseline each time.

Entering zero works with the two offset option under the centerline pulldown "offset point entry" tool, but it doesn't get me what I really want, it gives you an actual cl point in trade for an offset and one offset. And if you want double offsets, it only lets you enter a left and right one. (Even if you place a negetive in front of the left to get a right, it still puts it on the left)

Ideally I'd like to be able to select any line without having to create a CL file (like the transparent command), and set points along the line as well and multiple offsets, usually the multiple offsets would be on the same side of the line. For instance offsetting a storm drain catch basin with 10' & 15' offsets at each corner. Or if I'm staking a building I might want to do the same thing for a column line. Carlson seems limited in this respect unless I'm totally missing the mark.

Thanks for the help regardless, it was good food for thought.
todbiker

Return to Survey