TIN Problems...Too Many TIN Problems

Moderator: Carlson Support

TIN Problems...Too Many TIN Problems

Postby ERICatDOUCET » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm

The company I work for is in the early stages of deciding on making the big "switch" from Carlson over Autodesk to Carlson over IntelliCAD. My research project for the day was to try and duplicate a fairly large .tin I just finished, on Autodesk, on IntelliCAD. Rumor has it that IntelliCAD had problems handling large .tin files and so far they seem to be true. Is it my lack of IntelliCAD knowledge or is this software really lagging behind?

My first complaint, yet a small one, would have to be the speed of the software. It seems to take forever to generate/"Rechecking Contours". This is a minor problem but time does equal efficiency.

Now, to my real problem.. I finally get this .tin up and running and start making edits. I am attempting to remove a handful of shots from the .tin as they were shot at a no good elevation (for example overhang and tbm shots). Now in the editing screen (were the tin lines are white) the software goes through the removal process. tell sme its rechecking contours and that it inserted 2416 contour vertices.. All good and dandy right? Well, the contours are not updating. I know from expierience in Carlson on top of Autodesk when you remove a point the software updates the contours automatically, right away. Here on IntelliCAD the software is showing me the tin has been updated but the magenta lines are not changing, nor is my contours. I have tried clicking surface redraw and contour from TIN file thinking I have to manually update the contours, which I may note would be a pain if I had to do that after every update.. But, before I give up on IltelliCAD all together, am I missing somthing? HELP!

Is IntelliCAD really only good with handling small sites?

-Eric
ERICatDOUCET

tin

Postby JMDavis » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:14 pm

I really haven't done any topo over 300 points, but when I edit using surface manager everything changes as I go.

Which version are you testing? Go with 2012 vs. 2011. Big differences.
JMDavis

Postby ERICatDOUCET » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm running 7.1.880.48036.P.Alpha
Which I am informed is the most up to date version of IntelliCAD.
The topo I'm working with is around 2,200 points give or take. Its 11 acres of urban topo with tons of curbing and 3D-break lines all over the place. I have done smaller TOPO/TIN jobs when I took my Carlson Training with IntelliCAD course and I remember everything auto updating as well. I wonder were the line is, talking about the size of the job, when ItelliCAD stops cooperating.? Does anybody have an input on this?
ERICatDOUCET

Re: TIN Problems...Too Many TIN Problems

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:35 pm

I went through the exact same song and dance that you are going through a year or two ago.
Here are my conclusions:
(1) The intellicad version costs less, but all decisions cannot be based solely on costs.
(2) I got better results with the AutoCAD Embedded version. It costs more, but it works better. The increased speed using this version provided enoug time savings to off-set the cost differential. The ONLY thing I lost was custom LISP functions. (and 99.9% of the LISP routines that I was using in LDD are already in Carlson.)
The "lack" of quick keys and a draw arc by start, end, direction were quickly solved and my system runs VERY similar to my LDD, but at a much faster rate. Carlson does so much stuff "real time" that required a regen in LDD and that saves a ton of time in an average day.
I totally understand Carlson's logic in going with Intellicad and the folks at Intellicad are very close to a useable product. In 2 or 3 years they may catch up, and then the transition will be made if the costs are still lower, but not until then.
Based on my research, I took my company to the Carlsdn Survey with Embedded AutoCAD path in the office and Carlson Field in Toughbook data collectors in the field and have had nothing but good results since then.
Understand too that with a 4,000 point coordinate file and a 9 year old computer, even Carlson with AutoCAD will slow down some and give the dreaded "running out of memory" message.
Dent Cermak

Re: TIN Problems...Too Many TIN Problems

Postby ColC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm

I made the choice to go with the Intellicad version when it started and for the most of that time since I have had serious regrets. I had been plagued with crashes and lock ups etc.. But the remarkable attention to my problems by the Carlson team, in particular Leonid, keep me in there with hope. With the latest upgrades, the crashes and lock ups have significantly diminished. Up till recently I would only give a cautioned support to potential users. But now, I would recommend to users to have a good close look at the Intellicad option. There are still some shortcomings in the Intellicad compared to Autocad. The lack of an option to group layers so they can controlled from viewport to viewport is the most significant for me.But I understand that is high on the priorities for the next version.

Changing software is major decision and and obviously an expensive exercise. But for those contemplating the move to Intellicad it is a considerably less bumpy road now.
ColC

Return to Survey