AUTOCAD OR MAP?

Moderator: Carlson Support

AUTOCAD OR MAP?

Postby tstrickland » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:06 pm

What would you recommend for use with the Civil Suite, plain Autocad or Autocad Map? Map costs more, requires annual maint, and probably takes up more computer resources, but offers more GIS functionality and maybe some more bells and whistles.
What do you guys think?
I've just about ruled out Icad. It's sad, I sure didn't want to go with Autodesk, but don't see much of an alternative.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm

From what I have heard the Civil pack works best on Map. It's costly, but if you are going to do civil work it may be the best way to go.
I'm lucky, I only do surveying tasks so I am as happy as a hog in slop with my Survey with Embedded AutoCad. 8)
Dent Cermak

Postby R Stillwell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I've been running Civil on vanilla AutoCAD since 2010 with no problems.

Are you just getting Civil or will you be getting the GIS module also?

The Carlson GIS module might be more economical than AutoCAD MAP and it has a lot of powerful features.
R Stillwell

Postby tstrickland » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:20 pm

I've got the Civil Suite, which includes the GIS module. I purchased it at the end of 09 with hopes of using the Icad engine, but it is still too buggy for me. Maybe they will get it exterminated, but it must be a slow process for the programmers. While Icad has it's problems, one thing is for sure: The Price is Right.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby R Stillwell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I would probably just go with Vanilla AutoCAD then.

We had one engineer at my office that was on subscription with MAP and he switched to Vanilla after we purchased Carlson's Civil Suite.
R Stillwell

Return to Survey