Updating / adding points in a drawing?

Moderator: Carlson Support

Updating / adding points in a drawing?

Postby gskelhorn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:23 pm

What is the best way to update a drawing from CRD file so points in the CRD file are drawn using F2F but exiting points are not changed?

I have a drawing with a lot of points plotted via F2F and many of the attributes have been repositioned, some with leaders others simply by dragging.

I re-adjusted my full survey network and imported the points into my CRD file. I have updated the existing points with the new coordinates from the coordinate file utilities.

Ideally I would like to create a point group from a comparison between the DWG and the CRD and be able to process this point group with F2F and have the new points added into the existing point groups F2F created previously. That is likely not possible but how close to that can I get?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
gskelhorn

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm

How about creating a point group "By Number Range" for the comparison. Then when satisfied run another Field To Finish to add the new points ONLY to the dwg file. (That should add the points to the existing point groups.) Be sure to uncheck the box about erasing the previous field to finish items.
Dent Cermak

Postby gskelhorn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Dent Cermak wrote:How about creating a point group "By Number Range" for the comparison. Then when satisfied...

Hi Dent, this is the part I was stuck on.

The observed points I didn't in my original CRD file were collected from the first free point in the data collector with it auto-numbering, filling in all the point number gaps that existed.

The way I solved it was to make a junk drawing, plot all points from the old CRD file then erase points from a copy of the new CRD file using DELPT and graphically selecting all the points in the junk drawing. Finally created a point group from all that remained and on to F2F as you suggested.

There is likely a smarter way but this is all I came up with.
gskelhorn

Postby ColC » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 pm

I am unsure of exactly what you are attempting but I have had simply dilemmas. What I could suggest is using Compare points where you select compare drawing to crd file. Unfortunately this will not pick up repositioned attributes. Also you could assign a new crd file to the drawing and then update crd from drawing, then change back to your main file. Then compare the two files and create a point group from the results.

I find it is one of the most challenging aspect to retain the integrity of the crd file.I find avoiding gaps in the field file is one of the most important steps in the process. SurvCE is a little better now with this issue.

Good luck
ColC

Return to Survey