Update drawing from CRD file

Moderator: Carlson Support

Update drawing from CRD file

Postby ukepicker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm running Carlson Survey 2009 with embedded autocad.
When I make changes to a coordinate file (i.e.-adjust a traverse), I use this function "update drawing from CRD file" from the coordinate file utilities menu. Usually, it adjusts the points in the drawing to reflect the change or adjustment. Lately, in one of my drawings, it makes the adjustment, but also creates a new point label entity, leaving each adjusted point with two labels stacked on top of each other. I have to go back through and delete all the extra point labels. Anyone else deal with this or have any ideas about how to make it stop?
ukepicker

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 am

Is the new point label entity that is created EXACTLY the same as the original entity, or does it have a new (different) point number?
Dent Cermak

Postby ukepicker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the reply!
The information is exactly the same. The duplicates come in at a slightly different scale and width factor, just enough to offset the original entities and make them look jumbled or out-of-focus.
ukepicker

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Often when you bring in points via field to finish and then add points with other options like "update dwg from crd file" you get different sizes of text. You have one size set in field to finish and the other is the default in your other input.
At some point, one of those screens ahould have an "erase existing point" or an "allow overwrute" box. Evidently you do not have that box checked.
Carlson is loaded down with option boxes and the trick is to find what you need and get it set in the right place. With Carlson, when a window pops up BE SURE to reads EVERY option listed in that window and make sure they are ALL set the way you want them.It's just TOO easy to overlook the one that will mess you up the most.
Try this, once you have updated your coordinate file to what you want, erase points, All, Do Not delete from crd file and whatever you want to do at the point symbology prompt. Then draw locate points, ALL. You then should have one set of points on the screen, all looking the same and all in their proper location.
Dent Cermak

Postby ukepicker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 am

I'm not using field-to-finish. I've used that function with another employer and really enjoyed what limited value it adds. But in my current position, no one uses it and the field guys don't know about the codes, so we bring everything in off of the points menu's 'draw-locate points' and detail by hand.
I'm thinking it might be a problem with the dwg file I'm in. I'll try to test the same command in another file and see if I get the same results.
ukepicker

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm

ukepicker wrote:I'm not using field-to-finish. I've used that function with another employer and really enjoyed what limited value it adds. But in my current position, no one uses it and the field guys don't know about the codes, so we bring everything in off of the points menu's 'draw-locate points' and detail by hand.
I'm thinking it might be a problem with the dwg file I'm in. I'll try to test the same command in another file and see if I get the same results.

Limited value????Are you serious? Detail by hand???? Are you serious???
What takes you 2 days to do "by hand", I can do in less than 5 minutes. Keep doing that please!! My labor costs will be MUCH lower than your company's and if it ever comes to a head to head bid situation, I will get that contract.
It's time for your firm to come on into the 21st century. Change is NEVER much fun, but it is ALWAYS necessary.
The field crews do not know the codes?? That does not take long to fix. Doing so not only adds speed to the process, it also adds accuracy to the end result.
Do you realise that , when properly used, field to finish will draw ALL of your line work, label all of your control points with x,y,z data, label all of your inverts and pipe sizes, insert your tree symbols and the associated size and type of trees, draw all of you parking lot striping and road markings and insert ALL of your other related symbols like manholes etrc.? To me, that DOES NOT reflect"Limited Value" but rather "limited knowlege". Training is the key and in today's competitive market place,it is mandantory.
I'm not trying to dog you out, but your attitude towards the real power available to you tells me that you really do not realise what you have at hand. The "we have always done it this way" attitude shows laziness and has been the ruin of many a company. Push your employer to get you some additional training from a Carlson College member. I guarantee you that any costs involved in such training will be recouped in just a few months with the increased productivity that WILL result.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:32 pm

I am with Dent on this, F2F is the standout difference of this software with other survey software. I can do a contour & detail survey of 400 points and have plan close to the finished product once I have run F2F. And I know there is room for me to improve when I get to fully utilise the ability of F2F.

Take the time to try it out and you find the training required will diminish once your field staff see the benefits. Make sure that they have some involvement or contact with the plan production so they can experience the benefits. Involve them in the review of the codes once they start in the process.
ColC

Return to Survey