Importing NGS data from Point Utilities

Moderator: Carlson Support

Importing NGS data from Point Utilities

Postby bigskylz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm

I recently discovered the tool for searching for NGS survey points under the Point Utilites dropdown. Apparently, this is a new tool for Carlson 2013 and a terrific idea. However, Montana is an "International foot" state, and, upon downloading into your current CRD file, you import US Survey feet coordinates. In our neck of the woods, the difference in the metric to foot conversion method is around 2.7 ft or so. I thought the error might be in the Drawing Settings so I made sure the project was set up for grid state plane coordinates using International feet as the unit. I think the program is hardwired to make the metric to foot conversion using the definition of the US Survey foot or, 3937/1200, regardless of your state. Anyone else care to comment?
bigskylz

Re: Importing NGS data from Point Utilities

Postby guitarjamman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Not sure if this will help or not, as I am a little confused on your question/concern.

If you are looking for a method to convert your survey data from US feet to International feet and back again, regardless of before or after downloading of CRD file, there is a simple method. It would be safe to say that you should make sure you know which coordinate system your points are on BEFORE you go converting - had a few people double convert points before which really makes a mess.

If you need to convert your points from US Survey feet to International feet - these are the following steps to take:
1. Make sure your coordinate file is loaded into the drawing and your points are displayed.
2. Go to Points - Adjust Coordinates - Coordinate Transformation
3. In the Coordinate transformation window, select the following parameters:
- Grid to Grid
- Point Numbers
- Overwrite Existing Coordinates (or you can have it create new point numbers should you feel so inclined)
4. Select OK and change Transformation to the correct choice for your application (normally S.P. 83 to S.P. 83). Your Source Zone will be MO(and either east, central, or west depending on your location). Change the Source Coordinate Units from Metric to US Feet.
5. Perform the same steps for the Destination Zone but instead change the coordinate units to Intl Feet. Select OK and enter your Point Range.

After selecting OK, all your coordinates will now be based upon International Feet. Perform the same process to go back to US Feet if needed.

Hopefully this helps you. If not, good luck in finding an answer
guitarjamman

Re: Importing NGS data from Point Utilities

Postby bigskylz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for your reply, however, I do know the tranformation parameters for producing International feet from Survey feet or vica versa. I suppose my post was more of a suggestion to Carlson software. This utility would truly be helpful if the software queried the user if they wanted International feet coordinates or Survey feet coordinates in their CRD files. Ideally, if your drawing setup specifies Ift, then the NGS points should come in with those units.
bigskylz

Return to Survey