Carlson update.

Moderator: Carlson Support

Carlson update.

Postby Streek » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Carlson 2013, w/Embedded ACAD

I just received an update for my program.
I've only had it for one month.

How often do these updates come out?
Is it "safe" to install them right away?
Or is it like my phone updates, where I will be wishing I didn't?

Does this screw with any customization?

What's your experience with Carlson updates?
Streek

Re: Carlson update.

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 pm

I've done the "updates" several times and have had no problems. Usually they fix problems that have been reported to Carlson Support. They will not bother any of your custom files. Perfectly safe and it's ALWAYS a good idea to keep the latest version loaded up.
Dent Cermak

Postby tstrickland » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

I agree one should always update the software, it fixes problems. However, I have had it to overwrite my menu when I customized the "surv" menu. I now save my menu as "terry1" etc to keep that from happening.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Re: Carlson update. NO GO!

Postby Streek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Well, I tried the update and it didn't work.

It just hangs and says it's already installed. Then if I hit cancel, it asks if I want to quit installing.

So I hit the INSTALLATION HELP button and : THAT DOCUMENT CAN NOT BE FOUND.

Anyone else having this problem?
Streek

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 pm

The problem is that you are not doing this correctly, not that the software is not working. Here's how to do it:

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST SOFTWARE BUILD

Sometimes your software quits working correctly or new features or “fixes” have been added via the latest build on the Carlson Website. Downloading that build appears to be a little tricky and involves using “Add/Remove Program” under Control Panel. This stops a lot of people from upgrading their software.
The process is not as fatal as it may appear. It may make you nervous, but it won’t hurt you at all.

Go to Control Panel and on to the dreaded “Add/Remove Programs”, Click on the remove button and follow the prompts in the Carlson Software Removal Wizard. Tell it to Uninstall the Carlson software.
Now go to the Carlson Website and then to “Downloads” and find the download for your version of the software. Click on the “Download” button and tell it to SAVE the download to your computer. Pick any spot on your C drive that you will remember.
Once the *.exe file has been downloaded, find it and double click on the *.exe file. An installation window will appear. Accept all of the default values in the wizard. (It may say something about a file being under Program Files and do you want to write the new files there anyway. Say yes,)
It then will say “Download Successful”. That’s all there is to it. You do not have to enter a serial number or re-register. You are set to go.
Dent Cermak

Postby Streek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

That sounds logical,

This is what I was told to do:

Download Directions:
A. Click the appropriate Download button once
B. Pick Save when prompted and choose a location on your computer to save the file
C. Close CAD programs and Internet browsers
D. Use Windows Explorer (My Computer) to browse to the downloaded file on your computer and double-click to install

Not doing anything until support gets back to me.
Streek

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Until you delete the previous version you will continue to get the software already loaded fail notice. Carlson simply will not allow you to load something that is already loaded.
I know deleting the software sounds scarey, but that's just the way it is. I have done it several times and if you will look through the older posts you will find several threads posted by the Carlson guys stating the same as I posted.
Don't assume that I do not know what I am talking about and am trying to mess you up. If I was that type of poster I would have been banned from this site long ago. That assumption is rather insulting.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey