SPC and Local Coordinates

Moderator: Carlson Support

SPC and Local Coordinates

Postby leftclick » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:39 am

I like to run main control on SPC to tie jobs together and georeference photos, but often need to transform to ground coordinates for various reasons. I like SPC to be SPC and local to be local rather than having "near SPC coordinates" that confuse later on. Is there a way to set up a drawing to simply toggle between local and SPC coords by remembering the site specific parameters in the drawing settings (scale factor)? I'd like to simplify it so others using the file will get consistent results in the future.

I can manually document parameters and adjust the entire drawing (points,linework, photo, and all), but I'm wondering if there is a way to save it in a project. It would be great if it even updated the distances along the lines.

I want to designate a key point has coordinates 5000/5000 while also specifying it's State Plane coordinate (or lat/long) & scale factor parameters in the project settings. I relate this to how a data collector handles a local system for gps, it assigns a lat/long to the local coordinates so gps can function on assumed coordinates.

Carlson has so many tools, just wondering what direction to dig into if this is reasonable to consistently set up on projects. Thanks for any comments.
leftclick

Re: SPC and Local Coordinates

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm

I think your best bet would to prepare 2 separate crd files and dwg files. You can link the appropriate crd file to the dwg file. Any comparisons would be found in the coordinate files and you could xref one ito the other if desired. Simply run your .rw5 file twice. Once with spc control and once with assumed control. Each separate drawing would list or label the appropriate distances that you may require.
Dent Cermak

Re: SPC and Local Coordinates

Postby leftclick » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks,

That's kind of what I've done in the past, run 2 drawings/coordinate files when I need to do this.
leftclick

Return to Survey