Carlson 2016 + Intellicad. Trees plot 2x size with FTF???

Moderator: Carlson Support

Carlson 2016 + Intellicad. Trees plot 2x size with FTF???

Postby Yossarian19 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:51 pm

I'll try and get all the relevant information up front but we'll see how that goes.
When I plot tree codes with F2F, the blocks are at twice the coded size. A "PP 16" (16" trunk dia. ponderosa pine) will get plotted with a block size of 32. A "BK 14" becomes a block sized 28. Etc.
I have tried monkeying with "settings --> drawing setup" to no avail.
Somebody gave me the idea to cut the symbol's base size in half. Easy enough, I would have thought. I opened our C&G 8 block, edited scales to 0.5, cut, paste as block. New base scale is 1/2 what it was. Somehow, I managed to import our Conifer symbol in this fashion and it plots at the appropriate size in Carlson 2016. I cannot (and I've got hours of effort into it) duplicate this effect with the Oak symbol - it plots 2x what it should with an unedited Oak block imported to the symbol library, or it plots not at all with my edited block files.
So... I need to get the stock tree symbols to plot at the right size and / or figure out how to successfully import a half-size Oak symbol.
Any clues? Banging my head against the wall for a while now...
Thanks.
Yossarian19

Re: Carlson 2016 + Intellicad. Trees plot 2x size with FTF??

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:35 am

OK, I am on the OEN version, not Intellicad, but the procedures are pretty much the same.
It appears you are changing stuff all over the place, but not the right place yet. This is a Field To Finish issue, so the fix must be done in Field To Finish. Open F2F and on the bottom left of the screen should be a radio button that says Edit Codes. Click on that and scroll down to your oak tree code. Click the edit button for the oak tree code. At the top of that window should be a tab labeled SYMBOLS, click that. Left side should have a place that says Symbol scale. That's where you should make your changes. Check this tab for all of your symbols that are going psyco
This is a one time edit that should work in all of your new F2F runs.
Dent Cermak

Postby Yossarian19 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:57 pm

I agree with all of the above.
Sadly, changing the symbol scaler does not do anything for me - all symbols plot the same whether I enter a scale of "0.01" or "5.0". It is worth noting, too, that with a coded symbol size of 30, the symbol's properties will indicate a size of 60. So it appears I'm having multiple problems, or one very sneaky one.
Is this perhaps an issue with the demo version? I'm testing the waters at this point before spending the boss's money for him.
Yossarian19

Postby Yossarian19 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:29 pm

I got a hold of Carlson customer service, who was very helpful, and resolved the issues I was having.
The gist of it is that somewhere within each drawing file is a registry of blocks, symbols etc and their definitions as far as size and base point. Trying to redefine these characteristics of symbols within the drawing just doesn't always work. I'm sure Lon over at Carlson could put a finer point on it but this is why I was unable to get my Oaks to scale correctly: I didn't nail it the first time and the drawing had some characteristic it wasn't letting go of. When I started a new drawing, F2F worked correctly.
Also, my trees were a bit off center. Make sure your source blocks have a base point of 0,0 on the drawing to make them show up centered on the point's location.

As for the symbol scaler, IIRC, this setting doesn't work when your tree survey routine is set up to work as a factor of trunk size and Carlson admits that yes, the trees do tend to show up too large for legibility on some maps.
Yossarian19

Return to Survey