Creating Title Blocks

Moderator: Carlson Support

Creating Title Blocks

Postby wcsurvey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 pm

I have used Carlson in the past and am recently getting back into it, and have a basic drafting question (actually 2 questions).

1. I am using Carlson w/ Intellicad and am creating title blocks. I do not care for the template Title Block that Intellicad produces and am creating my own from scratch. Once I have drawn it up do I just need to create a block out of it, or does that really even matter?

2. If I will be using standard survey scales (1:20, 1:30, etc) when I create the blocks do they need to be in inches or feet, keeping in mind my project units are US Survey Feet.
wcsurvey

Re: Creating Title Blocks

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

You should create your sheets at 1:1, ie, 24"x36" would be 24 cad units x 36 cad units. Create the entire seet, border lines, standard notes and all. That will save a TON of time later.

Now enter wblock on the command line and follow rthe prompts. You can use the lower left corner, or whatever as your insertion point. Using wblock will save the sheet in your support folder so that you can used it in any drawing.

I usually determine final drawing scale first thing by bringing in my points and line work and then inserting the wblock of whatever sheet size the job calls for at a scale. Inert the block, select the insertion point and enter "30" for a 1"=30' scale drawing. If that fits, fine. If not erase the old sheet and try entering a scale of 40. Keep trying until you get the scale you need.
THEN go under settings and set the scale to whatever you selected.

("Standard" scales of 1:30 are an AutoCad falllicy and misnomer. 1:30 means 1 drawing unit is equal to 30 of the same units on the ground. So a 1 inch line on your drawing would represent 30 inches on the ground. It's called a "Proportional Scale".) Use your U.S. feet. Set the units to feet (architects will use inches. I do not try to explain the mind set of any architect.)

As I said above, you create the blocks in drawing units. At 1:1 (or 1"=1") a 24x36 sheet would be 24x36 cad units.

If this mind boggles you, send me an email with your data and I'll knock them out for you. (Should you happen to be in the Jackson, Ms area, come on by and I'll get you all set up. I also provide trainning services if needed.)
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey