Stake to Surface

Moderator: Carlson Support

Stake to Surface

Postby TrainWreck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:40 pm

I have been using trimble GPS's for many years but I changed jobs and I am now using a Sokkia GPS with Carlson SurvCe 2 software. With the trimble I could import a dxf surface onto the data collector and place grade stakes wherever I wanted. Fo instance, if I am grading a subdivision I could create the entire subdivision in dxf and then go to site and lay grade stakes where the contractor needed. As of now I can only make a point list at the corner of each individual lot and then lay those out. The Stake to Surface was really handy and I would like to use it again. Does Carlson have any kind of capability like this?
TrainWreck

Re: Stake to Surface

Postby tstrickland » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes, there are at least a couple of ways, but you would need Carlson Survey or equivalent to create a triangulation surface or a grid from, and you can stake to that by elevation difference. You can also stake to road design files or an elevation.
Edit: I read that in the soon to be released SurvCE 3, you can stake to a LandXML model. I'm not familiar with that, but sounds similar to what you were talking about. Staking to a TIN works well, and you can stake to a vertical offset from the TIN.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Return to Survey