Installing SurvCE Update with Windows Mobile Device Center

Moderator: Carlson Support

Installing SurvCE Update with Windows Mobile Device Center

Postby MWP-SCI » Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Data collector: Carlson Explorer (currently version 2.0)
PC OS: Win 7

I recently ran into the problem of my keyboard being mapped incorrectly (loading the SurvCE_Jett.exe layout instead of the SurvCE_Explorer.EXE) and found the walk-through to fix the issue here: http://update.carlsonsw.com/kbase_main. ... pic_id=280

I am using Windows 7 on my computer so I had to download Windows Mobile Device Center instead of Microsoft ActiveSync 4.1.

I downloaded Windows Mobile Device Center and connected my data collector to my PC via a usb/com adapter with no problems.

The problem I am running into is when I run the SurvCE_Explorer.exe file I downloaded nothing happens on the data collector. I increased the memory to maximum and nothing still happens on the data collector. I've noticed the install stops on the "Execute: "C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\CEAppMgr.exe" "C:\Users....." step and finishes several minutes later never having done anything on the data collector itself.

I am not quite sure what to do at this point. Carlson support recommends that I delete SurvCE from the data collector and attempt re-install but I am fearful it will still not work and I won't be able to use the data collector at all at that point.

Another strange thing to note is the data collector doesn't have a background wallpaper, it's blank. I think several of the OS files on the data collector may have been damaged and/or deleted and this has caused the problem. Is it possible that I need to re-install the Microsoft OS on the data collector?
MWP-SCI

Re: Installing SurvCE Update with Windows Mobile Device Cent

Postby tstrickland » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 pm

See my later post on installing SurvCE 3 on the Allegro MX.
On my data collector, I had to check the box for "Advanced Network Functionality" under Start > Settings > Connections > USB to PC icon to get it to install.
Might work for you, also.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Return to SurvCE General