SOKKIA GSR2700ISX

Moderator: Carlson Support

SOKKIA GSR2700ISX

Postby jerenner » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Can anyone help; I recently fired up my GSR2700ISX base and found that it would not fully initialize. It seems to be stuck part way into the start up sequence and I have to remove the batteries in order to shut it off. The health indicator lights flash a combined red and amber twice then return to a solid red for a time before flashing the combined red/amber again. I have removed the batteries and tried to fire it up with just the charger plugged in but get the same result. Can anyone suggest another course of action other than getting a new receiver?

Thanks
J Renner
jerenner

Re: SOKKIA GSR2700ISX

Postby Corndog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi I believe I have the same problem as you what it ended up being was that we needed firmware updates for our unit we had three rovers go down within a 24 hour. from my understanding it was caused by a Leap second. I called so sokkias technical support and was transferred to topcons technical support since they were bought out by topcon. We were able to do the firmware update from our office we did not have to send it anywhere I am not sure everything that was entailed I was out in the fields and one of the other surveyors take care of it in the office but you needed the right cord and through a procedure to get them to communicate with the software and then you have to get a code from inside each unit so that you can give to technical support and they can give you the access codes so that you can perform the firmware update.
Corndog

Postby jerenner » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks for the response, I have tried to reinstall the firmware but can't connect to the receiver. The receiver gets stuck somewhere in it's start up cycle and freezes, as mentioned previously I have to remove the power supply to shut things down. I have ordered new batteries but don't think they will solve my problem. I really hate the thought of laying out $5 G's for another used receiver.

JRenner
jerenner

Postby Corndog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Here is what the top cons technical support told me in there for first email "What you need to do is remove power to the units, either by powering them off if you can, or by removing the batteries.
Run the WinLoad program and go to File >Open and select the 3.907.hex file. Click "Write Flash." You will ahve 30 seconds to power cycle the unit. All you need to do is plug in the blue serial cable into the GSR2700ISX with it powered off. Inserting the blue cable will power on the unit and the PC can capture the device and flash the firmware.
In the middle of this process you should be prompted for an authorization code. You will need to send me the PSN number that populates in WinLoad (see attached image) and I can get you an authorization code.

Again, easiest thing to do is to remove the batteries, hook up to external charger (the unit will not power on), run WinLoad, insert serial cable and it will start loading."
Corndog

Postby Corndog » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 pm

I completely understand your problem we thought we were going to have to buy two whole new systems for top cons technical support really came through because these units are such legacy units it makes me think possibly when we need to buy new ones it will be something I take into account was the customer service. You will need to contact top cons technical support because you do need to give them the numbers that pop up on the screen so you can get the access codes. We had pretty much hit a dead-end and tell we got a hold of the right person in technical support. I was CCed on the first email so I have that information I sent you but after that the RLS in the office did all of the communicating technical support and fix the problem before I got back from the field.
Corndog

Postby jerenner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Thought we had it there for a while, using a serial cable I was able to rewrite the firmware, but unfortunately it made no difference. After the firmware loaded the receiver remained stuck in the startup cycle. I had tried to redo the firmware several days ago but was using the USB connection (which wouldn't connect).
Thought I might try reinstalling the Power Up Configuration but can't get a USB connection using SOKKIA Planning. Wonder if it could be something in the off/on power switch? I had started the receiver and once it said "receiver ready" I did a factory reset, that was when the problem started. I guess I'll be using my old Sokkia Radian as a base.
jerenner

Postby paulkoren » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:38 am

Sounds like one of the 2 boards (OEMV GNSS board and PDC power/data board) in this receiver is not behaving correctly.
You can interrogate the boards using serial commands - if they are in working order. So you may be able to find out which of the two is faulty.
Have you tried getting a quote to get it repaired?
rgds
Paul
(Sydney)
paulkoren

Postby jerenner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 am

I talked to one dealer who said the equipment is past it's legacy date and is not supported anymore. Haven't tried to track down anyone for repairs.
After reinstalling the firmware I tried to run the "LOG VERSION" command from hyperterminal and got all kinds of error messages.
I'm located in British Columbia, Canada so may have to check Vancouver or Calgary for repair locations.
jerenner

Postby paulkoren » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:16 am

LOG VERSION talks to the GNSS board, e.g. LOG PDCSTATS will trigger a response form the PDC board.
Calgary sounds like a plan - the boards originate from there!
paulkoren

Postby paulkoren » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:43 am

One thing, you are sure you've loaded firmware 3.907 successfully?
paulkoren

Postby jerenner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:47 pm

Still using version 3.701
Sending units off the Calgary, Rene at Benchmark Survey said they will take a look at them.
jerenner

Postby jahco@aol.com » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:42 pm

We are now dealing with the same issues. We had been using the rover with a cell phone to connect to an RTN with no problems. We are working on a job that is just outside the area and needed to go back to using the 2-reciever setup. We have SurvCe 4.07 loaded and we have the UHF antennas ion the receivers.

At first I though we were just having setup issues with the newer version of SurvCe, we could not remember how to set it up, and did not have it written down.

But now both receivers have the constant red light above the power button and can only be shut down by removing batteries. I downloaded the Novatel firmware and hope to get to the point of the Auth. Code request.

Has it worked ok for others?

Thanks
John
jahco@aol.com

Postby jahco@aol.com » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Got the firmware updated with no issues. Now I am having problems getting the units to work together with SurvCe 4.07. We need to use the uhf radios together as a base and rover.
Haven't done this in years and now cannot get them to work properly. I can get the base set up but the corrections are not being received at rover.

Any suggestions?

John
jahco@aol.com

Postby jahco@aol.com » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Was able to use our old version of the GSR Configuration program and discovered our Rover receiver has a non working radio. We always kept the base receiver in the box till we needed it for static or a uhf base connection. The rover unit always took the most abuse with several falls. It works fine with an RTN connection but now we know why we could not get it to work with the base via the uhf radios.

Anyone have any luck getting that type of repair done?

John
jahco@aol.com

Return to SurvCE General