Google Earth Image

Moderator: Carlson Support

Google Earth Image

Postby keta_salmon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:59 pm

I imagine that this has been asked before but I cannot find a post - I only have the Carlson Survey 2019 with IntelliCAD, is there a way to import Google Earth imagery without having to purchase more modules?
Thanks
keta_salmon

Re: Google Earth Image

Postby JoeRoberts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm not sure how other people do it, but here's my method.

Luckily in New Brunswick, Canada, we have the ability to import a hyperlinked .kmz file that displays the property mapping (which is usually pretty decent - only exception is when the mappers need to intrepret ambiguous deed descriptions, and may not line up with physical evidence such as occupation - that is if you are using cadastral surveying data - if you're using the same property mapping in your drawing, it's a perfect match - same product) for our entire province through our provincial land registry system. You do need to make sure that the tilt is reset, and that no 3D settings are applied. So I zoom into our subject area, save an image with the property mapping and aerial imagery.

I then import the raster image, and rotate and scale based off of two common points (property mapping from image, and either property mapping in drawing or the cadastral fabric that has been built in a drawing or coordinate file - based on surveys).

If you don't have the luxery of property mapping imported into Google Earth in your region you should be able to pick common reference points from your drawing that are displayed in the imagery, and scale/rotate that way.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Joe Roberts
Geomatics Engineer
ANBLS S.I.T.
Kierstead Quigley and Roberts Ltd.
Saint John, NB
JoeRoberts

Re: Google Earth Image

Postby mark baker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 am

That is exactly how I do it in northeast Alabama.
mark baker

Return to Survey