CONTROL FILE DUPLICATION

Moderator: Carlson Support

CONTROL FILE DUPLICATION

Postby AUSTIN » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:31 am

I've been informed by Carlson that the change to the way V2 handles control files is as follows :

"We have heard back from the programmers and they mentioned that the new behavior mentioned below by you is an intentional change.

If you open up an existing job with a control file set in Version 2.05 and the control file is missing SurvCE is purposefully creating a new empty CRD file with the same name as the original control file. The point of this is when you delete or move old Control files we can now avoid the constant error “Control File not Found”. "

I’m sorry to say, but that is the most faulted logic I’ve come across for some time.

It’s a change that has the ability to cause nothing but problems.

The old method was perfect – with no risk of data interference.

* If the control file was not found, it would tell you -“Control File not Found”.

* If you didn’t need to use the control file, you could just uncheck the option in the Job Settings => Options screen.

* If you DID need the control file, then it was a reminder to load it !!!

NOW it DUPLICATES the control file with an empty file of the same name.

And there's nothing you can do about it : By the time you have loaded the job, it’s too late, so you can’t uncheck the box – therefore the empty control file is created by default.

So when you choose to back up your data collector, the empty control file overwrites the previous one – so we now lose all old information !!!

I can’t believe the thought processes here – I am dumbfounded.
Why on earth would we want SurvCE to create and EMPTY control file for us ??? - it's not as though we can use it - it's empty !

I’m sure a poll amongst users would show that the change should be reversed.

And as the new process is automatic, I’m pretty sure there are a few users out there that would have no idea that they’ve lost all their old control files.

Anyone else with me on this ??
Last edited by AUSTIN on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUSTIN

Postby ColC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am

Most certainly a serious problem. management of field files,control files etc is a critical part of risk management. This is a default which should be scraped. In defence of the programmers I just had the experience of using of a Sokkia SR5X and it really makes you appreciate the design of the Carlson Software. Here's hoping they score with a prompt amendment.
ColC

Postby AUSTIN » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:31 pm

I figured I need some backup from users to get some action - I reported this early in April.
AUSTIN

Return to SurvCE General