Robotics suggestions with carlson explora

Moderator: Carlson Support

Robotics suggestions with carlson explora

Postby tony45power » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:01 am

Ive been using my explora for about 4 years now. My boss just gave me the ok to purchase a robotics instrument. I normally use a nikon npl351. I never used robotics, but id like to purchase a new carlson, and used robotics gun. Are all robotics easy to use with carlson? I noticed alot of trimble equipment is used with TDS or trimble data coll.
Any suggestions? or what i should look for?
tony45power

Postby jbrun » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:13 am

if you plan on using carlson you either want to go with a sokkia or a topcon unit earlier than the 9000 series. I had a topcon 8000 which used to work really well with survce 1.67 and I now have a 9000 which does not work well at all with survce 2.50. I have to use a fantam radio with it running a carlson surveyor + so that it will work smoothly. from what i here the sokkia srx works really well with the 2.50. I really don't think that the surveyor+ is as good as the Allegro's even though it is made by the same company. Mine seems to lock up ALOT. Back to the robots, i can't say about the others out there but this is what I can tell you about the ones that I have used. My topcon 9000 works really well with survce 2.50 if I have the fantam radio hooked up to it but it doesn't run very well with just running the RC3 alone as of right now. I have been talking to carlson about the issues and they are getting them fixed I hope. If i had to do it over again I would have went with an Allegro MX and a Sokkia SRX for sure. Hope this helps somewhat and good luck.
jbrun

Postby tony45power » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:55 am

i just started to look, but i just seen on ebay a sokkia and carlson for 15k. I use to have a sokkia but for somereason just wansntt o happy with the gun.
I always liked leica and topcon. Ive always owned nikon go figure lol. thanks for the input.
tony45power

Return to SurvCE General