Base and Rover setup for Topcon Hiper Pro

Moderator: Carlson Support

Base and Rover setup for Topcon Hiper Pro

Postby alexander » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:56 am

I've been through everything on this subject that I can find, but have been unable to solve this issue. I can't get anything but an "autonomous" position in the survey mode. I'm using Carlson SurvCE 2.58, and a pair of Topcon Hiper Pro receivers. I've uploaded the latest firmware for the receiver, including bluetooth firmware. I've set up the receivers using the description found in the Topcon Hiper Pro operator manual, Chapter 3. The radio modem is set up using a dedicated frequency. The receivers are configured using the instructions in Chapter 3 as well.

I am a first time user of both SurvCE and Topcon HiperPro, so don't assume I know anything.

In SurvCE, GPS Base, I'm able to make a bluetooth connection with the Base. On the RTK tab, I've set the radio device as Satel 3AS, with port C and baud of 19,200. Message type CMR. These settings same as configured using Topcon PC-CDU software. When I check the green arrow at the top, it appears to work, and then it asks for coordinates of the base, and I select "Read from GPS" for this purpose. It averages 10 autonomous positions, and displays the lat, long, and height, and asks if I want to continue with base setup, and I click "Yes". I get a message "Base Configuration Successful". Saving the config file appears to have no effect on my problem, I've tried it both ways.

I continue with the same process on the rover, basically same as above. The configuration appears to "take".

On the Hiper Pro, the base Rx light is blinking green, then red, then green, red, green, red, etc. The rover Rx light is solid green with a blinking orange light.

If I select Survey tab in Surv CE, and Store Points, I get an "autonomous" position. What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to localize first? Do I need to upload a geoid file?

Thanks for any help.
Carlson Survey, Carlson SurvCE, Topcon Hiper Pro, Topcon PS-101A robot
alexander

Postby tstrickland » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm

"I continue with the same process on the rover, basically same as above. The configuration appears to "take"."

You shouldn't have to do the same configuration for the rover as the base. I usually start out about like you do on a new job. But whenever I configure the rover, I just hit the OK button, and after it connects, I'm usually good to go. They seem to be communicating with the DC, else I don't think it would show an autonomous position. Seems like something isn't getting configured properly.

You don't have to localize first, you can localize after, or any time.
You probably do need a geoid, but that's not your problem getting fixed.
Saving the config file allows you to setup on the same point with a common localization at a later date. I always save it for this.

I've got Hiper Lite + and SurvCE on Allegro MX with bluetooth comms.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Thank you, Mr. Strickland

Postby alexander » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Your post has caused me to rethink the very essence of what I'm trying to do, and I have a theory that I'll try out tomorrow. What I have been doing to date is to establish a Bluetooth connection with the base, entering the coordinates of the base, and then repeating the process with the rover. Recently, I believe I've achieved good communication between base and rover, based on my observation of the Rx light pattern and color. Now when I attempt to do what I have been doing in the past, I get an error message because I can't interrupt the corrections already established and streaming from base to rover.

Now thanks to your post I'm thinking that I should try the following:

1. Set up base over known point. turn base on. Keep rover off.
2. Establish Bluetooth connection and key in coordinates for base
3. Turn off base and turn on rover.
4. Establish Bluetooth connection with rover. Set up RTK parameters.
5. Turn on base, which will initiate corrections being sent.
6. Proceed with survey

Does that sound like more or less the right process? I'm not even sure about the necessity of establishing Bluetooth with base in step 2, because once I'm surveying I'm thinking my only Bluetooth connection will be with the rover.
alexander

Postby tstrickland » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:42 pm

I don't ever turn either receiver off until I'm ready to leave or maybe move, sometimes not then.
I think you should get your dealer to do a demo with your data collector and see that you get up and running properly. Something don't sound right, and I'm not sure what it is.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Its working!

Postby alexander » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 am

Terry,

Thanks for the help. It came down to the fact that I had set the baud rate in Carlson to 19200 when it should have been set to 38400.

19200 is apparently the baud rate that the base radio broadcasts its corrections at, but the radio board connects to the receiver board on port C at 38400 and this is the correct setting to enter in SurvCE. A big thanks to Danny Shearon at Hayes for helping me on this.

See this thread for more info:

http://surveyorconnect.com/index.php?mode=thread&id=128583[/url]
alexander

Return to SurvCE General