Localization Question

Moderator: Carlson Support

Localization Question

Postby hlb2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:58 am

Ok, so I used SMI for over 15 years and it made using GPS very similar to that of using a total station. This was probably to my detriment, as now I have little to no clue about the procedures to use to do a "GPS localization". I understand setting the base up on a known point and localizing to other known points and have done this successfully in the past few weeks (we just got SurvCE back in January). So, yesterday I had a situation where my known base point had been torn out by a grader. I set a new point (unknown) and then froze b/c I realized, I didn't know the procedure for setting on an unknown and localizing to known points to determine the coordinates of the unknown. Now to add a wrinkle, I rarely, if ever, work in SPC. My firm has been around for over 30 years and many of our old projects are simply based on some 10,000 N and 10,000 E coordinate system, as they are generally small projects, and the clients don't require SPC. So, all that was really just a long-winded way of asking, in a local (10000,10000) coordinate system, how does one occupy an unknown with the base, and create the base coordinates by collecting to known coordinates?

For what it's worth, I had to create a new job yesterday, assumed 50000,50000 at the base, shoot my points I was holding for control, translate and rotate them about their coordinates from the old file to determine the coordinates of the base, then re-localize to these points based on the new coordinates I'd established from the new job and then start measuring. It was double the work compared to using SMI. The manual, does a GREAT job explaining localization if it were somebody attempting to get a job teaching GPS at a college university. The manual, however, does a poor job explaining said procedures to the lay person (me, in particular), and gives 0 examples of when and how to use the various types of localizations. Just a tip in the future, Carlson, give some real world examples...
hlb2

Return to GPS