Geological Modeling

Moderator: Carlson Support

Geological Modeling

Postby slundbacc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 pm

We are trying to model certain beds of clay that we mine out here in Wyoming and are running into problems. We are trying to find the distances between the beds. Does anybody know a way to model these beds by using drill holes or by using strata grid files? I would appreciate the help.
slundbacc

Postby TerryS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm not sure how your data is supplied, and this is not what I typically work with, but I would take this approach using Carlson Civil (I don't have Mining...it may have better tools for this):

1. Start with surface model - 'A' (I usually work with triangular surface models, where the data points don't have to fall exactly on grid)
2. Create a second surface 'B' from x,y locations of drill holes with depth as a the z (elevation)
3. Subtract surface 'B' from surface 'A' using Triangulation File Utilities and save the new surface as 'C'. This will be the actual elevation model of this strata.
4. Repeat 2 & 3 for each new strata...creating a surface model for each.
5. One can then use various reporting to get volumes and/or cut/fill between surfaces.....or use Triangulation File utilies to subtract chosen surfaces and solve a depth between chosen strata.
TerryS

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Our mining package should have the tools for this. I would try calling and talking to Grant Wenker or Steve Richards. These guys can get you going.
Carlson Tech Support
606-564-5028
Support@carlsonsw.com
Jason
Site Admin

Return to General Carlson Discussion