Coordinate File to GPX File Converter

Moderator: Carlson Support

Coordinate File to GPX File Converter

Postby yawn2510 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Anybody know of a converter that will allow me to convert a group of points in State Plane Coordinates to a GPX file so that I can import it into my handheld GPS unit? For example, I want to export a group of points from Carlson in the P,N,E,D ASCII format, and then have the converter turn it into a GPX file. Then take a GPX file and turn it back into a P,N,E,D format ASCII file. I looked at GPSBabel, and while they have a blue million formats, the P,N,E,D format is not one of them. Maybe this would be a handy tool to include in the next release of Carlson. Just a suggestion. Any help here will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale Yawn
yawn2510

Postby tstrickland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Global mapper (www.globalmapper.com) will convert just about anything. It is the swiss army knife of GIS, and it will do a lot more, too. They have a free or demo version that will do that for you, and check out the other features.
The registered version is some less than $300 I think. I use it, among other things, to clip and create geotiff aerial views. It will open just about any kind of a file and convert it.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby yawn2510 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

Dale
yawn2510

Return to General Carlson Discussion