Grid vs. tin

Moderator: Carlson Support

Grid vs. tin

Postby stevedrew » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 pm

In regards to tins and grids, is there an advantage of creating one over the other?
stevedrew

Re: Grid vs. tin

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:31 pm

IMHO tin's give better accuracy and produce a truer surface.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 pm

I would tend to agree with Dent, but it may depend on how your field data was collected. If it was collected close to or in a grid pattern then the Grid method would be suitable. However, a tin would still be fine in that situation. If the data was collected from a mix of grid and strings then I believe the Tin would be a better result.
ColC

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Here's the deal, a grid ignores any irregularities inbetween grid points. Our SOP is to basically shoot a grid based on the scale of the final plat PLUS any and all "breaks". Shooting purely a grid can totally miss a drainage ditch or other major break features. Same result when you base your surface on a grid.
Grids are only good in FLAT (read that as "paved") areas and can give only a rough solution to the surface that should only be used for estimates. In 44 years of compiling contours, I have NEVER done so with a grid only.Grids are for Engineering rough estimates. Tins are for cartographers. And Trix are for kids!! :D
Dent Cermak

Return to General Carlson Discussion