Line Types

Moderator: Carlson Support

Line Types

Postby dcool1 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:53 pm

I'm having some trouble with line types behaving differently in different files/projects. The alphabet line types "--- C ---- C ----" default to huge letters that I have to scale down to 0.05 or 0.1 just to make sense. The letters are very clustered together making it aesthetically unpleasing. Hoping I have more control over the linetypes in the linetype manager. Saw some info on modifying the ".lin" files in Program Files but I have to open in NotePad and cannot save it back as a ".lin" - any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
dcool1

Re: Line Types

Postby gskelhorn » Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 pm

Check the values of your line type scale with comment LTSCALE. Note Carlson resets the LTSCALE variable when you change drawing settings.

The line types using text characters will be dependent on the settings in the text style so check to see if the height and font are set to the same in each drawing.
gskelhorn

Re: Line Types

Postby tmaxwell.pe » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:53 pm

I see lines with the wrong sized text being a common issue. There can be more than one issue going on. The first question is how do you control your plotted linetype scale? I recommend setting sheets up in paperspace where each sheet has psltscale turned on. ltscale is set to 1. To display text with lines to a scale, each mview viewport is assigned a standard and annotative scale.

If you already have that setup, there is a good chance you have a linetype that was created in Autocad using an Autocad specific font.(I am assuming you are running over Intellicad). Note that Intellicad does not come with the same named shx fonts as Autocad. They have replacements, but "simplex.shx" does not come with Intellicad. If you are in a position where you trade files with an Autocad user, copy all the shx fonts in Intellicad that start with "ic-" and save a copy in the font folder without the "ic-". As a result, you would have the font "simplex.shx" along with "ic-simplex.shx".

I recommend everyone recreate all of their linetypes originating with Autocad with text to make sure they are not using one that is not compatible with Intellicad. Setup a style using one of Intellicad's fonts, then recreate the linework referencing that style.

I have personally experienced this issue.
Thanks,
Travis Maxwell, PE
Carlson Instructor for That Cad Girl
tmaxwell.pe

Return to Civil