Designing a Stockpile

Moderator: Carlson Support

Designing a Stockpile

Postby ParksFrady » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 am

I need to design a stockpile that is approx. 7' high with a 4:1 slope that fits inside a perimeter. The back of the stockpile needs to tie into an existing embankment at 94.5. The ground the stockpile will sit on is 2% or so over 1400' with a low toe elevation of 56. I cannot seem to figure out a way to make the top of the stockpile follow the 2% slope and stay approx 7' high over this distance? I can get it tied into the embankment just fine, but I end up with a 30' high stockpile at the low elevation instead of 7'. Any thoughts are very appreciated on a way to get the top of the stockpile to follow the existing. I'm using Carlson Civil 2008 w/ AutoCAD07. Any thoughts are very appreciated. Thanks.
ParksFrady

Post subject: Designing a Stockpile

Postby TerryS » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:28 pm

If I understand your scenario correctly, I would:

1. create a TIN of the proposed surface (without the stockpile)

2. create a polyline at the location of the toe of the entire stockpile

3. use 2dto3dpf (2d to 3d polyline by surface model) to convet the elevations of the polyline to that of the proposed surface.

4. use offset3d to offest the toe polyline over 28' and up 7' (4:1) to create a polyline for the top.
TerryS

Postby jrfosterjr » Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 pm

1. Create a polyline that defines the toe of the stockpile area.
2. Under 3D Data, select 2D to 3D polyline, then select By Surface Model
3. Select the existing surface to project to.
4. Under 3D Data, select 3D Polyline Utilities, Offset 3D polyline
5. When prompted, select Interval (if not default), enter 28 as your Horizontal offset (4 for slope times 7 for elevation change)
6. When prompted, select Vertical (if not default), enter 7 as your Vertical offset

You now have the top of the stockpile to create a surface from. Do note this, the top will not exactly reflect the surface below it, but the 7' will be based on the perimeter polyline. So, if the site is fairly uniform as you describe, you will have a reasonably close 7' high stockpile.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Foster, PE
Project Manager
Brooks Engineering Associates
Asheville, NC 28801
jrfosterjr

Return to Civil