Importing Zero Coordinates Always Fails

Moderator: Carlson Support

Importing Zero Coordinates Always Fails

Postby Jimbo57 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I am trying to import north and east coordinates from a space-delimited file that has a row for each point, no point numbers, no elevations, and no descriptions. Just a simple two column file with three lines in the header that are ignored correctly as I instructed.

The rows with "0 0" for the coordinates are completely ignored. No point numbers are assigned at all. For example: If the file has 50 total points and the first point is 0 0, then I get 49 points. If the file has more than one point with 0 0, then I wind up with imported points that will be off by however many points there were in the file that had 0 0 for its coordinates.

It does not matter where the rows are in the file, whether first, last, a mixture, whatever. Importing simply does not account for the points with 0 0. This is causing many headaches when reading an ASCII file with just north and east data. In fact, when I instruct Civil 08 to read just Y X from a text file, I get the error in format message and import fails. I have to use Y X Z as the format even though there is no elevation data.

I have tried all the obvious (at least to me) stuff such as toggling Point Protect, Ignore Zero Elevation, Alphanumeric, etc., etc. Hopefully, this is a setting that I simply cannot locate. Translation is simply not an option as the coords still must remain the same since I also export back to this same format at times for compatibility purposes with an old DOS program.

Any ideas/suggestions/rescue?? Thanks.
Jimbo57

Postby Nava Ran » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Use:
Points>CooRDinate File Utilities>Edit-Assign Point
to add 0 0 point
Nava Ran

Postby Jimbo57 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Nava Ran wrote:Use:
Points>CooRDinate File Utilities>Edit-Assign Point
to add 0 0 point

Thanks Nava. But this is not really an option since in most cases I do not know what the actual point number is for one or more 0 0 coordinates unless I go into the ascii file and count rows. This also looks like I am operating on one point at a time.

What I need is an option to instruct Carlson to accept 0 0 coordinates and assign a corresponding point number (even if it subsequently ignores that point but a number is assigned and maintains the order of the points being imported). The option should not require any input/instructions at all from the user other than assigning the format in which to read the file that is being imported.

In most cases, these DOS files start with point number 1 having 10000 10000 for its coordinates. Usually, the following points will have positive values and sometimes negative values but rarely zero values. It is the 'null' coordinates for a point (or points) that causes the problems.
Jimbo57

Postby Nava Ran » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:31 pm

A coordinate exactly at 0,0 is considered null, no point.
The x,y or z has to have some value to count as a point.
Nava Ran

Postby Jimbo57 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 pm

Nava Ran wrote:A coordinate exactly at 0,0 is considered null, no point.
The x,y or z has to have some value to count as a point.

I understand that. However, there are many situations, especially in borehole layouts, that consider 0,0 as a valid point with valid coordinates.

There should be a toggle for the option to accept/ignore zero coordinates. I am surprised that this basic choice is not in the Carlson Civil software. After all, most math operations dealing with positive and negative coordinates utilize absolute values anyways.

Thanks.
Jimbo57

Return to Civil