Please port Carlson Civil to BricsCAD ASAP.

Moderator: Carlson Support

Please port Carlson Civil to BricsCAD ASAP.

Postby hydrokiwi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 am

I am a BricsCAD user and just purchased Carlson Civil hoping that it would run like BricsCAD V9.

Alas the IntelliCAD 6.6.17.16 build that Carlson is running on is very slow and buggy.

I can open my 7 MB DWG in BricsCAD and move around, turn layers on and off etc quickly in real time.

I open the same file in Carlson Civil and have to sit there watching one of the CPUs on my Dell Quad machine at 100% for a minute or two between each operation. Then sooner or later IntelliCAD stops responding and I am back where I started.

This is just not viable for large complex files. It probably works OK with small data sets - but I have an 11 mile long corridor with lots of surface data which is really not that unusual for civil design.

I know many people are waiting for ICAD 7 to be the panacea for ICAD speed and bug problems, but the release of 7 has been delayed several times and BricsCAD realized about 2 years ago that unless they forged ahead and implemented their own enhancements to the ICAD database architecture - they would be stuck with a slow buggy product that was very difficult to improve and support.

Now BricsCAD is the leader in Intellicad based software and is focused on providing a reliable platform that makes it practical for software developers like Carlson to port over software designed to run on AutoCAD.

There is a meeting for developers coming up in May see www.bricsys.com/devmeeting. I suggest that someone from Carlson check it out otherwise the Intellicad based version of Carlson Civil is probably going to languish waiting for ICAD 7 to be released and then for a year or so of the inevitable bug-fix cycles for a major new software rewrite and release.

IMHO BricsCAD is already a year or so ahead of ICAD 7 and Carlson would be wise to seriously consider going with BricsCAD ASAP.

Cheers
John
hydrokiwi

Bricscad

Postby Vincent Popish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I agree, please allow us to choose our intellicad product. I also think bricscad is the best.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

BricsCAD

Postby JCory » Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 pm

I agree we recently tried the demo with the ItelliCAD and were very disappointed with the crashes and extremely slow performance. We would gladly welcome BricsCAD as an alternative in fact we are now investigating Eagle Point, which supports BricsCAD
JCory

Postby ColC » Mon May 25, 2009 10:36 am

Before you run off to another product I suggest you try the following steps to monumentally change the performance of Intellicad.

1.Try turning off your Internet security program. Disconnect from the internet so your computer is not at risk.

2. Increase the virtual memory allocated by Windows. Hold your mouse over My computer, right click, select Properties, Select advance Tab, select Performance Settings, Select advanced, select change under Virtual Memory, enter an amount in the max box, select Set. I have one computer set at 2000mb and the other at 2500mb. My computers both have 1gig of Ram.

These two changes had a huge impact on the number of crashes and the processing time. I was having crashes which ctrl alt del would not respond to and 3-4 minutes waiting for a file to be saved. That is all history, and now I am looking at the real Carlson Product which has impressed me since 2004.

In the short term I solved my Internet Security problem by installing a different package. I think the problem with my other package was that the default settings were creating a conflict. I am sure in time, I will get the other one running OK.

Good Luck!
ColC

Postby jljengr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:35 am

I am impressed with the Carlson software also. Can you imagine how great it will be when it runs under Bricscad?
jljengr

Return to Civil