Help with showing different surface types in a 3D model

Moderator: Carlson Support

Help with showing different surface types in a 3D model

Postby JMartinez » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:55 pm

My company just purchased Carlson to help with our modeling and I had a quick question. The Carlson home page shows a nice picture with different renderings for water, parking, road, and grassed areas.

I am trying (and have been for hours) to be able to render the streets a different color than the rest of the site (grassed). Going through this forum, I believe it has something to do with "draping" an image, which I have no clue on how to do.

So, how do I find an image I like (i.e. asphalt) and then hatch it into the road? To simplify it some...how do I hatch the road solid black and the parking area solid gray (leave using actual images for later).

I am also running Civil 3D 2010, but no other GIS software. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thank you.
JMartinez

Postby TerryS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:33 pm

I do not typcially do 3d rendering, and when I do, it is for novelty. That being said, one simple solution to your issue is:

1. Create 3DFACES from your surface file.
2. Create layers for each color you wish to have rendered. ie. streets=gray, grass=green, curb & walk=white....
3. Change 3dface entities to the appropriate layers (tedious...various selection techniques may make this quicker)

The entities should now render in the specified colors.
TerryS

Postby JMartinez » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm

Thank you for the suggestion....yeah, this is not for a real use except for marketing. I'll give that a try.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.
JMartinez

Return to Civil