Metric Plan / Profile sheet setup?

Moderator: Carlson Support

Metric Plan / Profile sheet setup?

Postby gskelhorn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Hello,

I am new to Carlson. I am working in metric with Carlson 2010 Civil Suite using the Intellicad CAD engine.

I am trying to get myself setup to generate plan/prof drawings in paper space layouts.

I have my drawing setup set to metric with a scale of 1:500 but try as I might I cannot get the plan / prof drawing in the layouts sized correctly.

I am thinking the paper space units should be millimetres and I can get the sheet border block to come in sized correctly for an A1 metric sheet but everything else is plotter too small.

I have tried with the border scaled to metres but that did not work out either.

Does anyone have a beginners guide to Carlson using metric? :?

Thanks,

Greg
gskelhorn

Postby gskelhorn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:05 am

This may or may not be useful to someone else so here is my progress to date:

I have scaled my sheet border drawing from millimetres to centimetres and disabled the plot at 1:1 toggle in the sheet setup. Personally, I really find the use of centimetres a distraction.

For my test plots at scale H=1:500 and V=1:50 it seems I simply need to scale everything on the Carlson generated layouts up by 2.0. My model space units are metres and paperspace units are millimetres.

The scale factor 2.0 I am guessing is due to the difference between my sheet scale of 1:500 and the implicit scale between model space and paper space of 1:1000 so I expect I would need to scale everything by 0.5 if my sheet scale was destined to be 1:2000.

Getting the X & Y offsets correct was pure experimentation. I still do not understand the logic involved. I used 2.5 as X offset to shift the plotted plan/prof entities 12.5 units right on the layout which will end up as 25.0mm on my paper. I used 0.037 as a Y offset to shift the plan/prof entities 18.5 units up in the layout which will be 37.0mm on my paper. My vertical exaggeration is a factor of 10 while the difference in scale applied to the X & Y offsets is a factor of 100. Perhaps a combination of my vertical exaggeration and a missed conversion from mm to cm in the software? I sure would prefer using sheet units here, even if they had to be CM :wink:

I have not begun to understand what I see with the plot 1:1 toggle turned on :shock:

I have been assisted by the Carlson support staff, they are very helpful!

Greg
gskelhorn

Postby gskelhorn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Pretty quiet here :lol:

I have had a few stumbles using metric with plan/profile sheets on layouts. Mostly sorted now but not quite. The sheet creation is pretty close to working for plotting 1:1. I will update once I get myself fully sorted in case someone stumbles on it with a search later.

For now I still have to scale all entities on the layouts by a factor of 10 in order to actually plot at a scale of 1:1 due to Carlson using centimetres as the units for paper space but hopefully that will go away also.

I understand the folks at Carlson are going to investigate whether they want to base the layout on centimetre units instead of millimetres.

My opinion is units in paper space on a layout out should be either inches or millimetres to be consistent with the "device units". If anyone else here has an opinion please add it to the discussion here or let it be heard.

Does anyone actually rely on the units in paper space being centimetres?

Greg
gskelhorn

Return to Civil