Carlson points at zero elevation

Moderator: Carlson Support

Postby RD » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Carlson Civil 2010, when I plant a point at zero elevation it does not record as zero back to the crd file (it is linked). If I move a point in the drawing to zero elevation,same result. The only way I've found to do this is to double click the point and edit the attributes to zero elevation or edit the crd file, neither are practical for my purpose. Any suggestions?
RD

Postby emorse4487 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm

The crd isn't really "linked" to your point entities in the drawing. If you move a point, it only moves the point entity, the actual coordinate isn't effected until you tell the crd to update itself based on drawing entities, as you have found out.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by setting your points to zero elevation? If you don't want 3D linework, just turn of the option to draw points on the real z-axis; this will disregard the actual point elevation and draw them on a flat plane.

If you are still convinced you need to edit your point data (which seems strange to me), create a point group in the point group manager containing the points you wish to set to 0.0000 elevation. Run:

Points>Adjust Coordinates>Translate Points

Select the option to process elevations, then set your Z under destination to 0.000
Eric J. Morse, P.E.
MEC Industries, LLC
emorse4487

Postby RD » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks Erik, I was using Carlson points to track Monitoring well locations and also for tracking survey control points, occasionally these items may actually be recorded at zero elevation. I was testing this method due to the quick and reliable List functions, returning an exel file quickly to third parties. I used to use an attribute block but the ACAD Extract Data tool is less efficient. Also I can use the Note option in Draw/Locate points to record other data. Thanks for your input, Rod Dunphy
RD

Return to Civil