Designing to Top of Curb with Roadnet

Moderator: Carlson Support

Designing to Top of Curb with Roadnet

Postby R Stillwell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm

If I use Process Road Design under Roads I have the option to assign a Template ID point to be used as the Centerline elevation.

I'm not finding this same option anywhere under Road Network.

Is it possible to do this with Road Network or am I stuck processing the roads with Road Design and then manually using 3DP to draw my curb and gutter around the cul-de-sac and intersections?

As long as I am asking questions about RoadNetwork. Is there way to keep it from automatically tieing to existing grade?

Road Network looks like a really handy tool but it's worthless to me if I can't use it to design to top of curb.
R Stillwell

Postby site admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm

If you are still having a problem with this, please email us at support@carlsonsw.com
site admin
Site Admin

Postby R Stillwell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Customer support has said it is not possible to use Roadnet to design to top of curb.
R Stillwell

Postby TerryS » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

R Stillwell

I saw your post in another topic about "designing to TOp of Curb" then noticed this topic. I am curious about what exactly you are trying to do?

Road design will draw curb and gutter around intersections and cul-de-sacs. (it does sometimes have trouble if you are using curb on one road and not on another...or different types of curb)
TerryS

Postby R Stillwell » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Road Design is what I'm currently using.

I would like to be able to use RoadNet but there is not an option to use Template PT ID's in RoadNet like you can with Road Design. So everything in RoadNet has to be designed to the centerline.

All the municipalities we deal with in Oklahoma require our profile elevations to be to top of curb.
R Stillwell

Postby TerryS » Thu May 12, 2011 2:14 pm

I am still not grasping your issue, which is why I was asking for specifics.

A) Where in Process Road Design are you assigning a Template ID for the profile? (if it is 8>Template Point Profile this exists in Road Network...in fact I see no options in Process Road Design that do not exist in Road Network in some fashion).

B) Regardless of the design base, when it comes to drafting, one can plot any profile as the main profile.
TerryS

Postby R Stillwell » Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm

In the Additional Road Design Parameters dialog box there is an entry for "Template ID for Profile". It defaults to CENTERLINE but can be changed to any Template ID defined in the Design Template.

RoadNet does not have the same ability. It always uses the CENTERLINE of your Design Template.
R Stillwell

Postby TerryS » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm

R Stillwell,

Thank you, I wasn't looking in the right dialog.

Are your top of curb elevations a constant vertical offset from the centerline profile?
TerryS

Postby R Stillwell » Fri May 13, 2011 12:44 pm

No. The vertical offset changes when we transition from a 26' street to a boulevard. We maintain a 2% cross slope on all streets.

If the vertical offset was a constant I could just lower all of my profiles by that amount but the way it is now I would have to create more profiles to achieve the desired results and I feel that just creates more work and more room for error.

I just don't understand how Carlson could have the option in Road Design but fail to implement it in RoadNet.
R Stillwell

Postby TerryS » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Ok, I understand now. Yes, it would be nice if RoadNet incorporated this since it is already in RoadDesign.

I do see your point regarding extra work and error potential.

However, if I was dealing with A LOT of intersections, I might be inclined to duplicate the effort rather than manually grading every intersection.

Even if they improve this in RoadNet (and other things), I sure hope they never get rid of Process Road Design.
TerryS

Return to Civil