New MTEXT opens Notepad - Wha??

Moderator: Carlson Support

New MTEXT opens Notepad - Wha??

Postby randalf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm just labeling blocks in a simple drawing, therefore there are no Carlson entities of any kind, BUT:

When I try to use MTEXT, Carlson opens a Notepad window for my editing pleasure. After making changes, I close and save the Notepad window, and the changes are shown in the dwg. Of course this completely defeats the purpose of the MTEXT visual editor.

Anyone know how to eliminate this deviant behavior? I want my MTEXT to work as normal, dadgummit.

Randalf
====
RandalF., using Carlson Civil 2011
with Autocad Utility Design 2009 (GAHHH!) on WinXP
randalf

SOLVED - Why new MTEXT opens Notepad

Postby randalf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 pm

After looking in the help files (DUHHH), I found an ACAD setting called MTEXTED. I think Carlson changes that setting to use Notepad. If you enter "." (just the dot), it will revert to the default behavior.

Code: Select all
Command: MTEXTED
Enter new value for MTEXTED, or . for none <"c:\windows\notepad.exe">: .

Quoting from the Autocad Command Reference:
You can elect to use an alternate editor by specifying the editor with the MTEXTED system variable. You can use any text editor, such as Microsoft Notepad, that saves files in ASCII format.

If you use an alternate text editor for multiline text, you specify the properties of the multiline text object at the command prompt first. Then the text editor opens for entering text. When you close the text editor, the text is inserted within the width limit you specified.

... MTEXTED Sets the application for editing multiline text objects. You can specify a different text editor for the MTEXT command. If you set MTEXTED to internal or to null (.), the In-Place Text Editor is displayed. If you set MTEXTED to “OldEditor”, the Multiline Text Editor is displayed. If you specify a path and the name of the executable file for another text editor or word processor, that path and file name instead are displayed instead.

So there you go. Thank you and good night
====
RandalF., using Carlson Civil 2011
with Autocad Utility Design 2009 (GAHHH!) on WinXP
randalf

Return to Civil