Drawing sewer profiles

Moderator: Carlson Support

Drawing sewer profiles

Postby MarkJZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Could some one please help me with Carlson 2012 Civil suite....

Why is it that when I change Carlson's "generic" profile to a "sewer" it can't/won't save the settings.

So DAMN tired of you changing parts of the program that should be left alone... I've used this product since 1997 and I have seen great advances...But I have also witnessed immeasurable setbacks. LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU DON'T HAVE A WORTH WHILE UPDATE TO YOUR PROGRAM LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE! YOUR SUPPORT SERVICES SUCK AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!! TRY ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS POSED TO YOU WITH AN ACTUAL ANSWER NOT, "PLEASE SEND IT TO OUR SERVICE" BULL CRAP. I'VE DONE THAT ON A FEW OCCASIONS AND YOUR CONSTANT REPLY IS WELL MAYBE IT'LL BE FIX IN THE NEXT RELEASE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONCENTRATE ON CREATING A WORKING PROGRAM THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THINGS "JUST BECAUSE"

Sincerely, A Disgusted Customer.
MarkJZ

Postby ColC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

I found that problem as well and I have found a simple short term solution. If you compare the .pro file 2012 is generating against the .pro files of some of your existing working sewer profiles (using notepad or similar), you will see two lines at the end n of the file which don't contain relevant data. If you remove them and put 0,0,-1 as the last line it will save as a sewer file. I have reported this PATCH solution about a week ago. I expect the programmers should be able to provide a better solution.

I share your frustration with the progress of the program. I would like to see a version which has close to 100% functionality with the existing routines, rather than have a version with a variety of exciting new enhancements which may or may not work or worse still detrimentally affect existing routines. I have huge sympathy for the programmers who are faced with solving the scatter gun array of problems that have been generated to date.

I do acknowledge that it is very competitive world out there and these eye catching enhancements do grab attention. And they are needed to be able to competed with the likes of autocad.And so, for the moment I sticking with exciting and innovative.

I have been using Carlsons since 2004 and I would have loved to have been able to share the secret to other Aussie surveyors, but to date, I have not been prepared to embarrass myself with crashes or failed routines.

I have prematurely stated this before, but do I think 2012 is very close, for me to start sharing the secret.
ColC

Postby R Stillwell » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 pm

I am happy with the software. Makes my job day in and day out much easier.

On the other hand I would be much happier with better documentation for the software in general and on patches. It almost seems like telling us how to use the software or what has changed with the software is an afterthought some times and totally forgotten at other times.
R Stillwell

Postby MarkJZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I should clarify that I feel that Carlson is a vastly superior product and will continue to use it for the reason stated by Mr. Stillwell in his second sentence of the first line. I also admit that I would not want to be the programmers responsible with people like me becoming so overtly frustrated at what seems to be a ballooning amount of patches needed. I am amazed at what I feel is a miniscule amount of the entire program that I use, to be so riddled with "oversights". I've been told that I am trying to over utilize a program for what would be considered minimal additional gains/return in a project. But feel that it is becoming increasingly pressing that we utilize all portions of the available to create a complete, correct project with all the needed files to go from concept to stake-out.

ColC thank you for reminding me of those little "extras" at the end of a sewer profile. Totally forgot that controls the entire file.

I sincerely thank you both for your replies. I wish you the best on your futures.
Mark
MarkJZ

Return to Civil