Grading changes to proposed surface breaklines

Moderator: Carlson Support

Grading changes to proposed surface breaklines

Postby mwhis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Good morning group,
I am a new Carlson Civil user evalutating for our company. Also a long time Land Desktop use, so for the most part this transition is very easy. The issue I am having is with changes to proposed surfaces, and perhaps my workflow needs to be altered for Carlson Civil. For example, I am grading a new parking lot, so I used the 3d Points commands to set elevations at key locations. Then I used 3d polylines to draw the curb lines at elevation and offset to establish top of curb. The 3d polys were then used as breaklines to build a proposed surface. Worked great. This issue comes in when I need to alter elevations along a curb. In LDT, I would edit the surface fault line, which was just a 3d poly, and redefine the fault, rebuild the surface and quickly I had new contours. I haven't found a way to recreate this workflow for editing the surface elevations, without editing individual surface points, which for curb islands is very tedious. I have used the surface tools to delete all the points for a curb line. This leaves "holes" in the surface though. Then recreate a 3d polyline and rebuild the surface.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for editing surface breaklines?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Matt
Autocad 2012
Carlson Civil 2012
mwhis

Postby R Stillwell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm

I use SiteNet for commercial and residential grading plans. It makes rebuilding a surface a one click affair.

You can make whatever changes to your points and 3dpolylines and then click Make Design Surface and it will rebuild the surface and update the contours.

It is also very simple to add or remove layers from your surface.

As for editing 3dpolylines I use Edit-Assign Polyline Elevations from the 3D Data menu.
R Stillwell

Postby mwhis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Thank you for the response. Sitenet looks to be the perfect answer. Just watched the video on their website and appears to be a great tool.
Matt
mwhis

Postby ColC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

I have encountered some real Limitations with SiteNet. Once you want to try various models it falls well short.
Firstly, when saving Define Layer surface it only saves to the JobName.trg, you can Save as to another name but you can't load it and then save it. It will only save to the Jobname.trg This makes it difficult to set up different scenorios.
Secondly, all the parameters, such as boundary lines, topsoil stripping have to be reset for each scenorio. They can't be saved as one option. In fact you have to go back and clear the previous option which is very slow and becomes very tedious and confusing.
And finally, the location of the files created are not easily directed to the one location.

To overcome these problems I have created subfolders for each scenorio. But it is messy moving the files and the it does not overcome clearing all the parameters.
ColC

Return to Civil