DEM Downloads from the National Map

Moderator: Carlson Support

DEM Downloads from the National Map

Postby Pricer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 am

Is there a documented process out there anywhere for downloading DEM information from the National Map and creating contours in Carlson?
Pricer

Re: DEM Downloads from the National Map

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 pm

On this site, under the training films section and then under Carlson Survey, there is an excellant class on DEM files by Paul Carlson. Perhaps this will aid you in doing what you want to do.
Dent Cermak

Postby Pricer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not been successful at DEM downloading using the video as a guide so far. The USGS site now directs to the National Map for downloading Elevation Data & none of the information at the National Map webesite looks similar to the instructions on Mr. Carlson's video. I'm hoping for a little update from someone that may have used the National Map info.
Pricer

Postby rroberts3 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Instructions for importing National Map NED data into Carlson.zip
I have been able to import the data into Carlson, but the training webinar on the Carlson website is no longer valid, as data in the USGS ASCII DEM format is no longer available, or at least not readily available.

I have typed up a tutorial that involves external software to convert and reproject the data into a more usable format. I have done this several times, but am by no means an expert.

Please see the attached Word document for the tutorial. If you have questions, I will be willing to help as I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rroberts3

Return to Civil