X REF CRASHES

Moderator: Carlson Support

X REF CRASHES

Postby Lefthandaction » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 am

Okay here goes I am working on a dwg file and want to cross reference an old drawing into my drawing for evaluation of corners and the like or copy something into this drawing. My old drawing still has files cross referenced to them ...error messages. x-ref manager shows all the unloaded missing files, no problem, but when I try and detach the file my drawing locks up or I get an 'ignore abort or retry", if retry is hit the system locks and the only soltion is to task manager and force a close, which sometimes looses valuable work. Another problem I am having is that a new file that I need to cross reference will act like it is loading however it will not display. I have already sent a couple of my drawings to Leonid for evaluation. ANY HELP OUT THERE??? Best regards to all. Paul W. :)
Last edited by Lefthandaction on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to "rightly divide the word of truth"
Lefthandaction

Re: X REF CRASHES

Postby Lefthandaction » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 am

Sorry for my miserable typing.
Lefthandaction

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 am

I'd try opening the original drawing and unload all of the xrefs that you do not need. Also, be sure that ALL of the xrefed drawings are in the samge dwg folder. If you start stacking a bunch of xrefs, some being loaded and some not, you are just asking for problems. No cad package plays well with conditions like that. Also try inserting the xref's with the "no path" option.
Look, here's the bottom line, xref's are a major pain in the southern extremities. They should be used for reference only. if you want them as a permanent or long term part of the drawing, go ahead and insert them as a block. It never fails, that no matter what you do, if you send a drawing out without the master files ONE client will not be able to see the data and an entire project is screwed. "Bind" does not alway work. Look for it to fail when you need it the most.
My boss does not allow any drawings to leave our office with active xrefs. We have MAJOR clients that cannot handel them, so they are a no-no.
Dent Cermak

Postby gskelhorn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

Well, I won't get into the XREF discussion other than to say like anything, understanding them is key to successful usage.

Have you tried to attach them as overlay. Then the nested XREF's may not be an issue. Also, have you run AUDIT on the source file? Just a couple of stabs in the goblin filled dark...
gskelhorn

Postby tstrickland » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 pm

You could check the layer names for length. It appends the drawing name to the front of the layer with a |. Also if the drawing name is long this could create a problem, for instance if the drawing is named something like "mytopodrawinginthenortheastcornerofthecounty" would create problems, and needs to be renamed to "mytopo" or something. Same thing with layer names. Also, the older drawings didn't support long layer names, I don't know what version they changed, or the length, but you could look it up if it looks suspect. This might not be your problem, but you can check it out. I don't imagine that the layer or drawing name would be a problem with an overlay, but i'm not sure.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby Lefthandaction » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 am

Dent and Terry,

I am not going to send these drawings out the door electronicly as a dwg but I am trying to view and use data from previous
surveys for corner evaluation and checking. I am using this data to produce a plat of a survey. Crashes are a real killer to me.
But I will give your suggestions a strong look at an attempt to alleviate my problems. Thanks for your experienced advice.
Lefthandaction

Postby Lefthandaction » Mon May 06, 2013 1:49 pm

I found the answer to all my x-ref problems by talking with an old friend last week about this problem. He actually showed me a much easier way to do what I am wanting to accomplish. The method is to use the clipboard and copy all or part of a drawing then go the new drawing where you need the additional data,
i.e... corner points or otherwise, use the clipboard and paste to original coordinates. Thanks so much Tommy
Williams for this easy fix. This information hass been what I need all along. :D :D
Lefthandaction

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 pm

The Clipboard is an awesome tool!! However, data added to the drawing this way becomes part of the drawing. If you want the same effect as the clipboard, but easier to remove the "referance", then insert that same data as a block. Then, when you are finished with the data, you simply erase the data by selecting any one item in the block. There are many times when I prefer this to using an xreferance.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey